• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things NOT to say to your instructor...

"You suck, boss."

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hehehe! I almost fell off my chair laughing reading this thread! Thanks for this even though made a long time ago now but still funny! :lol:

I can just imagine me saying any of this stuff to my sensei....lets just say

happen not gonna.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

"You fight pretty good for an old man"

This was actually said as a complement by one of the kids. The instructor is just over 40.

I had actually told one of mine;

"Is that all you have, old man?"

Then swoosh, I was on the floor and cannot remember how I got there.

My email has a dash in it, and whenever I write it for someone they always ask if its a dash or a underscore (even though i don't write it on the bottom like an underscore)

About one week ago,

I gave my email to my sensei after the lesson so he could add me to the list serve. and he asked the same question. My answer 'if it was an underscore it would be on the bottom like one' *said with a friendly smile at him*

well he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and a smile of his own. and I said I was just teasing and joking around with him. and he said'I know you are' and he put one arm around my waist and gave me a brief hug.

Reason why I write this here is because this probably isn't the best idea for everyone to said something like this - you could get in a lot of trouble if you say something that could be taken as saucy or disrespecting your sensei and this statement said like this certainly could be if you meant it that way or you didn't have the rightlook or body language or sensei didn't know you that well and you didn't have a good friendly teacher/student relationship where you both knew and respected each other.

reason why i didn't get into any trouble is because we've got all that plus we're both funny and we both have good senses of humor. There's a lot of respect and fondness between me and my Shotokan sensei.

I guess this is just a heads up - be careful what you say. And who you say it to.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

My email has a dash in it, and whenever I write it for someone they always ask if its a dash or a underscore (even though i don't write it on the bottom like an underscore)

About one week ago,

I gave my email to my sensei after the lesson so he could add me to the list serve. and he asked the same question. My answer 'if it was an underscore it would be on the bottom like one' *said with a friendly smile at him*

well he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and a smile of his own. and I said I was just teasing and joking around with him. and he said'I know you are' and he put one arm around my waist and gave me a brief hug.

Reason why I write this here is because this probably isn't the best idea for everyone to said something like this - you could get in a lot of trouble if you say something that could be taken as saucy or disrespecting your sensei and this statement said like this certainly could be if you meant it that way or you didn't have the rightlook or body language or sensei didn't know you that well and you didn't have a good friendly teacher/student relationship where you both knew and respected each other.

reason why i didn't get into any trouble is because we've got all that plus we're both funny and we both have good senses of humor. There's a lot of respect and fondness between me and my Shotokan sensei.

I guess this is just a heads up - be careful what you say. And who you say it to.

Grand post and account.

This same applies to a forum.

Much can be misinterpreted in rhetorical discussions without facial or body expressions.

One's sense of conveyance or humor cannot always be detected on such a medium, as a forum or blog.

About one week ago,

Grand post and account.

This same applies to a forum.

Much can be misinterpreted in rhetorical discussions without facial or body expressions.

One's sense of conveyance or humor cannot always be detected on such a medium, as a forum or blog.

Thanks =]

maybe more so to the internet like you said sometimes cause you cant SEE the other person.

if face to face it more easier to tell, unless the sensei isn't too good at decoding what people mean by facial expressions and actions. or if you two are not that close like i said.

Blade96, do you think, if student and teacher are from the same culture, that the level of humor and such is better understood?

interesting theory and I think I'd agree slightly. Newfoundlanders are known for their sense of humor (especially in my mother's family, og, you'd have to see them, they'd crack u right up lol) and though my sensei is originally from britain he's got the same sense of humor. I've got it too. and well sensei's been here for many decades now. I think I can agree with you on a level. maybe the fact that most of us, well our ancestors did anyway, come from britain is a factor. who knows.