• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respect

when people hear that i do MA (which isnt that uncommon, since i work in a resturant and have to schedule off every weekday evening to teach) they always ask at least two of these questions

1.how long have u been training?

2. what rank are you?/are you a black belt?

3.can u beat me up?/could u take me?

it was really hard when they would ask me how longand i would be like, almost 7 years, and then they would ask if i was a black belt, and id be like no

its not uncommon for them to assume that u are therefor not any good, because of others getting theres in 2 years or so

oh, n now i dont have that problem :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respect for oneself if the most important kind. If you respect yourself then you can respect others and therefore earn respect yourself.

That is the most sensible thing i have heard in these forums for a long time Isshinryu. Congratulations for a really meaningfull post. :)

you may freely give up your life, but never lose your honour

• 1 year later...
when people hear that i do MA (which isnt that uncommon, since i work in a resturant and have to schedule off every weekday evening to teach) they always ask at least two of these questions

1.how long have u been training?

2. what rank are you?/are you a black belt?

3.can u beat me up?/could u take me?

it was really hard when they would ask me how longand i would be like, almost 7 years, and then they would ask if i was a black belt, and id be like no

its not uncommon for them to assume that u are therefor not any good, because of others getting theres in 2 years or so

oh, n now i dont have that problem :P

Word, every non-MA i've met at school has asked me almost the same questions. I just answer each question truthfully.

1. 1 year

2. orange belt. I have 9 more year to cop a blackbelt

3. i wouldn't need to fight you unless you actually threatened my life.

Destined To Bring Light

I don't think that respect is relegated only to "traditional" martial artists. On the battlefield, respect was earned through bravery and accomplishment. It is done much the same way today, only without as much lethality.

Respect can be earned, or it can be commanded. Earned respect is obviously more positive than commanded respect. If respect is commanded, it is usually through a chain of command, like the military (and many martial arts styles, especially "traditional" styles) or it is commanded through fear.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is not with MA. People does not respect each other , each other religion , each other life. And the loser people is the worst.

Most people who mock at MA normally are people with crappy lifes , crapy family, lazy , agressive , blank.

The only way to get respect of those pseudo- human litter is actually , is inside a ring. Walking away is generally fine... but some people is really annoying and perseverant in their jerkness

I remember when training boxing (not a MA , but useful as example ). And Idiot watched every day and mocked on the boxer. One day he decided to get in the practice. He wanted to combat. I asked my trainer to fight with him. I broke his nose , and his blood stained the ring´s floor.

After that day , he started to talk me with great respect and friendly

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

martial arts are not what they used to be. thats why i train in a traditional style in a dojo that teaches ONLY a traditional style.

It's not the art, it's the teacher.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

martial arts are not what they used to be. thats why i train in a traditional style in a dojo that teaches ONLY a traditional style.

It's not the art, it's the teacher.

8)

That is a good point, ninjanurse. I think the problem lies just as much with TMAs as it does with MMA athletes.

I feel like society in general has gotten a lot more disrespectful... not just focused on martial arts. How often do you see people throwing a temper tantrum at the store or bank trying to get their way? How often have you almost been in an accident because someone passed you on the shoulder of the road and flipped you off while doing it? It's kind of sad.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I feel like society in general has gotten a lot more disrespectful... not just focused on martial arts. How often do you see people throwing a temper tantrum at the store or bank trying to get their way? How often have you almost been in an accident because someone passed you on the shoulder of the road and flipped you off while doing it? It's kind of sad.

It all comes back down to discipline, and unfortunately, we live in a society that frowns on discipline. They think it is abusive. I remember when I was a kid, me and my brothers would get to dinking around in the store with my mom, and she would just wack us right there, shape us up. I tell you what, I don't think it was possible for her to ever be embarrased, because she would just work us over in an aisle! Now, I don't view this as abusive, and I don't think spanking is abusive, either. Unfortunately, society does not share the same views I do.