• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretching Hips

Hi

I've visited the Stretching sticky topic at the top, but found nothing about stretching the hips. The problem is when I try to kick high the muscle above the thigh (on the side facing outwards). Is that the hip muscle or any muscle? How do I stretch them? Also, how long do overstretching related injuries heal?

Reagrds :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You may want to try the stretch where you stand on one leg, while holding your other ankle behind you and pulling. This will stretch out your quadricep, but should also help with the upper hip joint.

You could also sit with one leg straight in front of you, and the other leg (the one you want to stretch)tucked beside you. Normally you would lean forward and grab your ankle to stretch the hamstring of your straightened leg. This time, you want to lean backwards to stretch the upper hip joint of your bent leg.

Hope that helps!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hamstrings/ Gluteus

Hip abductor

Hip adductor.

Hip flexor

Stick those into google and you'll find pictures of where they are. Tell us which one you want to stretch and we can be a lot more helpfull. As there are endless stretches you can do.

If your feeling the stretch when kicking, keep kicking. I've found dynamic stretches to be most effective and least boring of all the stretching exercises.

Bretty