• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Freezing Up

Kyokushin

O.k. I was wondering what's the best way to start trying new things in sparring. I've used a specific style for a long time and it's harder to add things to it than I thought. I know what I want to do, but when I start sparring I just think too long about it and then miss my oppurtunity. i.e. I know to side step a kick, but I always think to do this when the kick is halfway out there and it's too late to get out of the way. It's very frustrating b/c I know what I should do and my body just isn't doing it! Any advice?

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't know how long you've been doing this, but I too have to stop and think about everything (I've been doing it 3 months) and the remedy, it turns out, is the same as when you're learning to dance. Do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Do it until you can do it in your sleep. Literally. (I once got up to go to the bathroom. It was summer and the windows were open. Faintly from across the street I heard a catchy beat, and, half-asleep, I did a 3/4 shimmy! :lol: )

My teacher's favorite words are "Do it again." Make those your favorite words, and, usually after you wonder if you are ever going to get it, all of a sudden it will click. Good luck!

5 years trainig and i still find it hard to add new things into my sparring routine, but it is possible eventually like its said above drill, drill, drill!!

Yep, that's me too. Five years training. I guess that's why it's so difficult to change now, but better late than never I suppose. Things will only get harder the longer I put this off. I will try making up drills guys. The only thing I have a problem with is imagining my opponent. So sometimes I have trouble practicing drills in the air. My parents are opposed to a punching bag so for now I have to deal w/o any equipment. If there are any other suggestions plz post :)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

to me only haveing 3 to 4 sparring combos is better than having 6 or more beacuse then you dont have to think about what ones your gonna do. if you only have like 3 its easyer to choose between them. Me i have only 4 combos i use for offensive attackes but i usually dont attack all the time, so when i do its fast, strong and suprising. the opponet dosent see whats coming.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Get a sparring partner and do slowish controlled sparring. Try out new things and don't worry about getting hit.

When you are sparring remeber it is just that. It is not a fight for your life. It is okay to take hits whilst trying things out.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Work on one technique or combo the entire sparring session. I actually spent 3 straight sparring sessions doing a side shift to aviod attack and counter with back fist and reverse punch. My dojo mates thought I lost it. :P When I finally switched back to normal my timing, distance and anticipation improved greatly. Do not concern yourself about winning or losing. Just keep working it from every position and angle. Just block and avoid as necessary and work it in.

Eventually you will improve. Sparring in the dojo is a place to learn and help your partner learn winning and losing there does not matter. The only place it will matter is if someone outside the dojo attacks you for real.

Try not to over think while sparring it will only slow you down.

This all may sound a little crazy but this method really works. It just takes a little time and alot of patience, you will most likely take a few shots in the process but it will make you better in the long run. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Just relax and react. You can't think it has to become a reflex.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."