• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for you TKD, and Karate people

Ok...just straight to the point: How would you guys defend, and fight a Jujitsu fighter? Cause none of y'all are used to grappling, groundfight...etc...you tend to panic when on the ground. Just a question, no need to tear my head off...

So, how? OH, yeah, don't say: "Strike first...avoid him...WIN!" blah....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've personally never trained with any jujitsuka, but in a fight I would try to move around and uses hand strikes mostly so I could maintain my ballance.

I have, however, trained with wrestlers and I've done very well (tapped out one of the top high school wrestlers in my region the first time I grappled him).

We encorporate grappling into my karate style so I am decent on the ground. I also have a mean hip toss. :)

My sensei for most of my karate career worked as a bouncer for many years and showed us how he used to control unruly customers. He was a small guy, but tough as nails and used to grapple everyone in the class one after the other until he had easily defeated all of us.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Ok...just straight to the point: How would you guys defend, and fight a Jujitsu fighter?

My style practices techniques to defend against takedowns, and we do a lot of stand up grappling.

Cause none of y'all are used to grappling, groundfight...etc...you tend to panic when on the ground.

You're sure of that? It is becomeing more and more common for stand up schools to include a ground game. I train with grapplers whenever I get the chance.

Just a question, no need to tear my head off...

Sure there is. It was an inflamitory question, that's why you put that comment in there. But that's ok. My smart a** answer:

"Strike first...avoid him...WIN!" blah(st him!)

And if it were for real, you'll have to take weapons into account also. There's allways a trump! Train it all, or loose it all!

Now, if you are trying to make the point that it is a good idea to have some ground fighting skills, I would agree. Probably most people here would, but I'll let them speak for themselves. And those who train for reasons other than self defense deserve no disrespect if they choose not to grapple.

So, how would a J-J fighter handle multiple opponents? He'd probably stay on his feet, if possible.

Freedom isn't free!

we do allot of counter grappling and stand up grappling, we also practice kicking techniques to counter a takedown, since a kick is more reliable to stop a takedown than a punch and i should know becasue i have done it before. One kick in the stomach and they were out.

we do allot of counter grappling and stand up grappling, we also practice kicking techniques to counter a takedown, since a kick is more reliable to stop a takedown than a punch and i should know becasue i have done it before. One kick in the stomach and they were out.

since a kick is more reliable to stop a takedown than a punch

not if they have any idea what they are doing or have any wrestling ability at all..

One kick in the stomach and they were out

well they must not have been very conditioned and I cant even imagine what sort of goofy shoot would allow someone open for a kick to the stomach..

I have trained in both TKD and JuJitsu so I tink I can answer this from both points of view. Delta makes a good point in that when faced with multiple attackers a good jujitsuka would stay on his feet. You may not know but many JJ systems teach kicks, punches, evasions, and strikes in addition to ground fighting. It is not just a course on how to grapple, it is a course on how to maim and kill when confronted, period. TKD also teaches kicks, strikes, punches, and evasions, and at the higher dans-in some systems-throws and grappling. The fair match up here would be 2 people who have trained to the same skill level-not just a jujitsuka versus a TKD guy because acquisition of techniques follows a different path in each style. The combinations of scenarios are endless but in general I think it could be a very good fight-the winner being the most determined. There are however such differences in style that a fair comparison would be difficult to give, too many variables such as the individuals strengths and weaknesses, skill level, environment, etc. It is also not fair to assume that a TKD stylist has never had exposure to any other arts or vice-versa. I myself would probably use a fair amount of JJ in any fight but would use my TKD skills when the opportunity presented itself to avoid a groundfight regardless of who I was fighting...but then even that depends on many variables.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We practice releases and maybe once a month work situations where someone has you down on the ground. You can punch and kick on the ground just as well as standing because it takes balance out of the equation although you lose some power.

But, I would prefer not to go to the ground (we women don't like to get dirt on our clothes :) ). If someone attacked me with the true intent to harm me, I would do a low side kick to the side of the knee. A 10 yr old can produce enough power there to tear ligaments and all kinds of other bad stuff. Then the only ground fight is the attacker fighting to figure out how he will stand and walk. At this point I walk away.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

A lot of TKD styles teach counters to grapples, admitedly most would be trounced if they do end up on the ground, but getting them there in the first place isn't that easy. As TKDLadyInSC said a side kick to the knee will muck up anyone and is very hard to counter with a grapple.