• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aerial cartwheels! Can you learn them this way???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 months later...

Ours isn't taught as a kick. It's supposed to be used to evade an attack at the lower legs while putting distance between you and the attacker.

I believe it was mainly used to evade staff, sword, and spear strikes at the knees/ankles.

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Stop and think about the technique for a moment pcam16. Think about your balance. Forget the crap you see in 99% of the movies where you see moves like this aerial.

I don't know how long you've been involved in the arts, but if even for a few monbths, can you HONESTLY ever see a REAL APPLICATION of that aerial in a combat situation? One that won't get you killed

IMHO if you do, then you're watching WAY to much TV and the crap they portray as "martial arts", and believing that yes, people can jump 30 feet in the air, walk on water, fight 25 guys at once..blah blah blah!

Do you believe the stuff in the movie "Hidden Tire, Crouching Dragon"? Walking onb tree branches/water, floating/flying through the air?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Rather an aerial is a martial arts move depends on your definition of an MA move....

Any capoeristas in here? I believe in capoeria it is called an au (ah-yoo) or estrella and it is used to get away from an opponent and still keep your eyes on them --- why not just back away --- cause that particular application is relying on momentum and continuous movement.

I've also seen it used effectively 2x in point sparring --- and while the point was earned and get some 'ooohs and ahhs' from the audience I think its too risky in that instance.

In creative forms they are used all the time....when you can see a clear kick then I'd say it is a martial arts move....or even if it is followed by a block or some kind of combo.

Otherwise --- its gymnastics.

That's my 2 cents anyway!

KarateForums.com Sempai

IMHO if you do, then you're watching WAY to much TV and the crap they portray as "martial arts", and believing that yes, people can jump 30 feet in the air, walk on water, fight 25 guys at once..blah blah blah!

Fighting 25 guys at once is EASY - anyone can learn to do it.

Surviving the experience, now THAT'S hard :D

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.