• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry I need to vent!

That's a very humble answer which you should be congratulated on...

John G is right to point out that some TKD schools follow a martial arts path. You might not know that the General includes several throwing techniques in the Taekwon-Do encyclopedia which although are "trained often" are recomended for use when you don't want to harm your attacker too much!

Off the top of my head, the techinques are the hip throw and wheel throw (from Judo?), as well as a move from a headlock where you pick up the leg of your assailant and drop your weight on them, some sweeps and other techniques which you might not readily associate with Taekwon-Do.

You also might not know that the Hosin Sool (Self Defence) section of a TKD class will generally borrow techniques from other martial arts styles as well as those proscribed in the encylopedia of TKD. I train with people whose backgrounds include kickboxing, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Wing Chun, Hung Guar, Judo and other martial arts and all are encouraged to share their knowledge. The instructors themselves are well rounded having experience of Shotokan, Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai, Escrima and more. All knowledge is applied in this section of the class.

The General also stated that it is important for Instructors to allow their students to visit other schools and to gain experience. He was confident that his students would return when ready. In this vein my school hosts seminars where practitioners of other martial arts are invited to practically demonstrate their art. I attended a great BJJ seminar which I really enjoyed and learned a lot from - arm bars, rear naked choke, some take downs, a gi choke, a fanstastic low leg savate kick...

Anyhow, I digress. My personal frustration with TKD comes mainly because I can't train as often as I would like (only 2-3 times a week) and my club trains during the week in a hall with a hard wooden floor and no mats. Only on weekends can I spar with takedowns and throws and only if I can find a willing sparring partner (only two people will spar NHB with me) - most distressing!

If the-way-is-noway is unhappy with his / her school then he / she should check out another. A TKD instrcutor should not be concerned as long as the student is following the rules within his / her dojang.

But enough with the TKD bashing - there's plenty of watered down schools in many martial arts...

Have a nice weekend!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the-wayis-noway I know how you feel I went through the same thing. Most of the guys in my TKD class were smaller and faster than me. But if I unleashed I would destroy them. I always had to hold back, these were my instruction from my teacher. I quit. I went to a San Soo school and my eyes were opened. This was real fighting, quick and dirty, nothing too fancy. If you want to be effective against almost anyone, study a Combat Style MA like San Soo or Wing Chun, Krav Maga. If you want a Sport Art that will teach you effective techniques Judo, Muy Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin Karate. TKD isn't the most realistic MA for fighting. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I took some time and sat in and particpated in Aikido and Kali De Leon.

both were very different in their style/technique and outlook from each other and TKD. Aikido was very circular and flowing many of the students had smiles on their faces reaching levels of intoxication while being thrown around the mats landing in a controlled fall. One student told me " it feels like flying I love it". It seems to me that Aikido is only limited by its tradition

Kali on the other is not bound by tradition. Their is no uniform, no rule of engagement, and no creed other then to survive. It is very lethal, very effective and very brutal. There are no submission holds or wasted movements every move is ment to kill so you can engage the next person who will do you harm. I must admit I really like this art but I do struggle with its fatal nature.

I know how you feel. I had the same problem at my old TKD mcdojo. I, 13 years old, was by far the oldest in the class and since I'm quite young, that's saying something. The class description and the teacher never mentioned anything about the age group, and I wasn't allowed to watch classes. When I sparred, I was like why the heck would I ever do this in a real fight. And then, this black belt was fighting a slightly older white belt (who didn't know the rules) when the white belt grabbed one of the black belt's legs while he was kicking. The white belt proceeded to pound the black belt's face while the black belt was crying "you can't do that!" That was the last straw :kaioken: and I realized I would never actually use TKD in a fight.

During sparing the instuctor matches us up. only light contact is allowed no hits to the head(except kicks) or below the waist, no knife hand or back fist. So you might as well tie both hands behind my back, I got nothing to fight with.

You can't use your hands to spar? :o

Without the combination of hands and feet, I wouldn't be able to fight worth crap!

Adam

Traditional Japanese Goju Ryu Karate

Mike Lasci's Northern Martial Arts Centre

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

i don't think anyone could. can you actually not use your hands or can you just not score points? :-?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai