• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

er.. I am interested in Muay Thai, but its hard to find a school near my area. So i was wondering what other styles would be better for me? I am looking for a one that will help me stay fit and one that i will stay interested in and not too far from my house. I tried taekwondo before, but after 6 months, i realize that i havent learned much. Only2 blocks, 1 punch & 3 kicks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would be shocked that any school taught that slow. What are your options?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 4 weeks later...

Look in your phone book to see what's available. Then "browse" those schools to see what you like.

You can't go by style. When I moved to NY, I wanted to stay with Tang Soo Do, but there were no TSD schools here. I had to go with a school that was good. It also happened to be a school that was similar (the one I attend now). I didn't know it at the time, but I knew it was a good school, so I stayed with it. This was after I got stuck in a McDojang, then I came here.

You have to seek a good instructor, not style. I know my instructor is good. So I stick with my school. You have to look for the same :)

Laurie F

I would be shocked that any school taught that slow. What are your options?

I would be very shocked. We teach all the basic blocks punches and kicks to new students within a couple of weeks depending on the lesson plans. Sometimes they can "learn" them all in one lesson, just not properly is all. :)

don't be so quick to down the school because you haven't learned a full syllabus of techniques. i personally know of one guy who wasn't taught more than a few stances and a single punch in a year's time.

it's the quality of instruction that matters, not the quantity.

this guy didn't know alot of different techniques but he didn't have to, he was so good with what he knew because he drilled and practiced it daily.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

if u wish to stay fit u might want to do a martial sport more than a martial art. there are arts that absolutely dont bring u into shape, but are very good for self defense (hapkido for instance).

judo and tkd are a very good workout as far as i am concerned.

maybe u could give a liste of what is available in your area and what u might want to train?

• 3 weeks later...