• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does it mean to be a brown belt?

stencil

Being a brown belt means that you are trying to prove that you are worthy of wearing a black belt. Pay close attention to the third through first kyu sparring divisions at your next tournament .. you'll see it. They're out for blood!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'll be a brown belt for at least a couple years, maybe less, maybe more, but around that. I've noticed the sensei and seniors are already twice as hard on me, but that's a good thing in the end.

you wear a belt around your waist that is brown.

Yup :D No more no less...........

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I got my brown belt in the spring of '99. In the spring of '01 I was promoted to Shodan-ho, which is in between brown and black. It is a dan grade but not quite shodan.

I still hold that rank, and I'm itchin for a shodan real badly. It's been SOOO long and I really can taste it. I know it's just a piece of fabric. But it's a piece of fabric I've been working on for 7 years.

I hate having to explain my rank to everyone who asks. I want to just be a 'black belt.'

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

It's possible to do it in 3 years.

My attendance isn't always great and for some reason the head of the organization is being really tentative about letting me go for my test, which is weird because he is a family friend. In fact he let me take karate for free for years.

I know I am better than some shodans, so maybe he just wants to make sure I'm not an embarrassment because he personally knows me and teaches me.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I'm a brown belt too. We have three brown belts in our club, so in theory we should be on browns for about 18 months-although it tends to be bit longer.

Being a brown belt means you're nearly the next grade up..:) I would agree that its kind of like the teenage years/intermediate level.

Brownbelt is a high pressure rank. You get it from the BB because you have to be as good as them. You get pushed by the lower belts because you have to look better than them and be an example.

Of course on sparring night the BB love to snack on "Brown"....ies. :brow:

You know ya just cant beat 1. :o :roll: :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.