• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training and fitness schedule

I'm sure I could do five hundred pushups over thw course of the day... I think I'll start doing that.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in the dojo 3 times a week.

On my off days (4 days) I do this:

DAY 1: Complete body resistance workout. Incline pushups, barbell rows, shoulder press, bicep curls, tricep pushdowns, squats and lunges. 1 set per exercise, 3 cycles of the whole workout. No rest (supersetting) between any exercise, 1 minute rest between cycles.

DAY 2: Heavy bag work. Kick and punch, elbow and knee the bag for a total of 40 minutes. Finish with crunches. (200 total...that means 20 reps using 10 different crunch positions: standard, knee up, left and right oblique, leg raises, bicycles, etc)

DAY 3: REST

DAY 4: REST (depending how I feel or how sore I am) or AEROBIC work. I do a 40 minute aerobic session either on a treadmill running (4-5 miles a clip) or use a Power 90 DVD aerobic workout.

That's realistic and it works. As far as what grandmasterchen posted, I agree that this kind of workout CAN be done, but if you can do this more than three times a week, you're a fitness GOD with 2% bodyfat. It sounds more to me like an excerpt from a Jean Claude Van Damme movie. I know they do things differently in Japan, but come on. I don't doubt chen has done this. But you can't overwork your body like that unless you are an olympic contender or have no job and get PAID to work out. We all have jobs, go to school, etc. So just finding the time to supplement your training is difficult.

Lastly, 500 pushups isn't impossible. But to do 500 in one session under a strict time limit is. Try it. See how many you can crank out without resting. I can do about 50 in one set with no rest. I can take a minute break, do 30, break, then 28, minute break, then 20. But I'm pretty much wasted by then. What would that be...128 or 130 or so? I can bench 275 for 5 reps, and I weigh 180#'s. I think I'm pretty strong. It'd take me a few hours, but I think I could do the 500 in strict form.

Mixed Martial Artist

I can do 130 pushups in one set, My bench press max is 200, I weigh 145.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I'm in the gym 5 days a week. I'm in class 4-5 days a week.

I spend anywhere from 30 mins to an hour in the gym, concentrating mainly on power exercises - bench, squat, deadlift, etc. I also do a few pretty boy exercises.

I'm in bjj pretty much every night for 2 - 3 hours.

judo twice a week for 2 hours

muay thai twice a week for 2.5 hours.

In addition, every night when I get home, I hook up the cables and do 300 reps of tai otoshi, followed by sweeps practice, pushups, shadowfighting and various other exercises.

Pecs- Bench Press, Dumbbell flys, Dumbbell bench press

Front Shoulder and Pecs- Incline Bench Press

Front Shoulder- Military press

Side Shoulder- Lateral Raise, upright row

Rear Shoulder- Rear lateral Raises, High Barbell row

that's too isolative - when building strength, the key is to do compound exercises. On a strength program, the only two of those exercises I would do are the bench press (flat) and the military press.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

it appears that some of you may give me some advice on how to arrange a training schedule to attain good physical potential. At the moment I am doing Karate - Do twice a week, which -in my eyes- isn't really demanding. What would you recommend to do in order to improve strength, power, and endurance ? The opinions mentioned on this thread are diverse; what is necessary for a beginner ?