• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

• Kung Fu (Wing Chun)
    • Kickboxing

Hello everybody,

I am intersted in taking a martial arts class. But I have a very difficult time deciding which one is best for me. I am not the person that likes to start the fights. I want to take a martial arts class for self defence. I heard that Kung Fu (Wing Chun) is very difficult to learn and it takes a very long time, Kickboxing is a lot quicker to learn but it is very aggresive sport.

I am 22 years old and I used to go to gymnastics for six years. So hopefully it's not to late for me to start a martial arts. If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations please reply, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Vitek

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Yes, I tend to agree that kickboxing is fast to learn at basic level (of course is it takes long time to master). I do not know wing chun well, but from the little I know it is a very effective MA especially at medium to low distance. Keep in mind that kickboxing is not focused on self defence even if self defence skill can be easily added. I think the main decision point for you is if you want to do a traditional MA self- defence focused (wing chun) or a modern martial art very informal and with a lot of sparring (kickboxing). :-?

But I think that both are good choices. :up: :karate:

Just what I've thought, kickboxing is easy to get in have have a quick fix, and effective in street fights wing chun don't know much about it and it may take long to be good at it.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

I do agree TJS kickboxing in thai says muay thai.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

Basically Vitek, it's going to need to be a personal decision. Wing chun is a very effective 'fighting' system that emphasizes economy of motion. A unique series of forearm drills and what is commonly referred to as 'sticking hands' is the trademark of this system, although it does incorporate a few 'basic' lower body kicks.

There are a few variations on wing chun, but they are all 'essentially' the same. The pace at which you learn depends heavily on how traditional the school is, and on how well you master the ability to move your limbs simultaneously, yet independently. The more traditional, the longer it will take to enter into the later stages.

Most kickboxing courses tend to be geared for sport. It is a bit of an unfair comparison really. Wing chun is a system, while kickboxing is a term applied to a variety of eclectic competition kicking programs, but generally the kickboxing programs found in most corners tend to offer substandard boxing, along with some TKD kicks. The hard part will be finding a kickboxing trainer that is competent, as pretty much anyone can hand themselves a belt in kickboxing and then run around teaching people.

For those offended by this, i am full aware there are many competent kickboxers, as well as many good kickboxing facilities, but the fact remains... there are far more wannabes and substandard facilities providing ample opportunity for injury and unprofessionalism.

If you wish to locate a kickboxing facility, I recommend looking for one that has a 'recognized' Golden Gloves boxing instructor and a Muay Thai instructor with some ring experience. These two systems complement well a kickboxing regimen.

However, based on your comment about not wanting to be the initiator, and on your experience in gymnastics, I would think a grappling system would be more to your liking and probably far more suited to your physique.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

quite coincidentally, you can say the same about wing chun. lineage disputes, politics, McKwoons, etc. there's alot of substandard instruction out there in WC.

as for the original post, are you talking about american kickboxing or muay thai?

i'm gonna say that they are too different to make a reasonable judgement.

my question is what do you want?

quick, hands on experence

or long term learning/training experience?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."