1. 1. best floor for the dojo?

• wood
    • matts
    • stone
    • ground

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wood floor is good for general training, kihon and kata especially if it has a bit of spring.

Personally I like to have matts if we are doing throws or ground work as I have got injuries in the past being trown onto a wood floor.

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

I like the wood floors. My first school had a raised wood floor. Great for hyungs (forms) and falling and stuff. But we did use mats if we were doing a lot of falling, but it wasn't really needed, because the floor had "give."

My school now has carpet, underneath is concrete ..... ouch. We did self defense yesterday (no mats) which involved take-downs, and what hurt worse than the joint locks was the floor :o Even for me, and I'm good at falling.

Laurie F

I like to train on the hard floors, that gives you a realistic approach to street fights.....yet i must admit that those matts are realllly comfy, nice for self defenses, ground fighting and such, yet i like the hard floor for training for real falls.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Although I don't really know what ground means, I voted for it anyway because all the others were clearly not what I'd have chosen. I have class on thin carpet over concrete and it is as chen said, good for approximating a realistic environment one might have to fight in. I suppose in that sense, even if ground was supposed to mean outdoors, that still fits the spirit of my vote being for a training area a real fight might occur in.

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

I've only ever trained on firm mats (not the super squishy kind that feels like a bouncy tent from the fair). I'm too clumsy to risk doing anything (sparring, jump kicks, etc) on anything hard or wooden :dead:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Only ever trained on wood unless doing throws etc:, it gives a realistic feeling without being too dangerous to headbutt(!!) comparred to concrete.

In the summer we sometimes train on the grass outside the dojo, that feels nice under the feet :D

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

I've never trained much on throws prior to Hapkido so I have nothing to compare my expirence too.

But, we have a raised wooden floor with a medium thickness carpet covering it.

Chun Kuk Do (haven't practiced since 1996) - 2nd Red Belt

MSK Hapkido - Orange Belt