• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Press up variations

telsun

What press up/push up variations do you do?

i.e wide grip, close grip, etc,etc

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

we do several variations of press up at training including:

1. wide grip

2. close grip

3. 'diamond' press ups where the hands are under the sternum area of the body with the left and fight thumb and fore fingers touching forming a diamond shape

4. press ups with one foot over the other so its essentially a one footed press up (both left and right legs)

5. press ups with one leg raised of the ground in line with the body (helps the abs)

6. one armed press ups - although i havent build up to these yet

7. then obviously depending on strength, knuckle or finger press ups (i again cant do these yet as im only a beginner)

8. press ups with anothe persons legs on the small of your back so you are essentially lifting their weight as well. this can be done with 2 or four people, probably more but im not sure

9. press ups where a partner pushes you down and then releases you so you 'spring' up again, a resistance press up.

erm.............i think thats all i can remember of the top of my head

One you forgot, (my favorite one) is the handstand pushups. Great for shoulder strength.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

you can do them with dumbells instead of a barbell- just lift them to just about meet at the top so theres barely a curve in the movement. i like those.

a broken arm throws no punches

you can do them with dumbells instead of a barbell- just lift them to just about meet at the top so theres barely a curve in the movement. i like those.

Are you thinking of Bench Press?

I mean Press ups (freeweight exercise).

Thuggish- telsun's right, your thinking of Bench press. He is talking about Push-ups. By Press-up, I think he means another name for a push up, not the barbell exercise. I like Dumbbell bench Presses, too. They give you a better range of motion. Great for Powerlifting. Hey, Thug, I posted a post i nthe General board about Strength Sports. I haven't check that board yt, but if you haven't already, why don't you reply a threat. I see you're a weight lifter.

telsun- The bench press is a "freeweight" exercise. Freeweights= using barbells and dumbell, not using machine. "Body weight" is what you mean, I think. Body weight= using your natural body weight as resitance, such as in push-ups and pull-ups. Are you referring to the Press-up as a push-up, or the shoulder exercise with a barbell?

on my knukles, im an isshinryu studied so i do them so that my fist form a proper verticle angle and when i go down, there in the chambered position. this means that when i do full range of motion, im actually improving my punch speed and power as well as working out :) then i do some on my finger tips, it helps my arm strength a lot and also prepares my hands for those finger strikes to cavityies that are so renound for often hurting the practioner more than the opponet.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Hey Tibby. Yeah sorry it was late (was here in the UK anyway). I meant bodyweight not free weight.

I did mean press up as an alternative term for push ups. I know that people call them different things and I wanted to try to minimise confusion :) Then I confuse you :roll:

lol, I though so. Then I saw "freeweight" and I wanted to double check. :) Fireka is right, those push-upsdone in isshinryu karate class can be great! You basicly keep your arms at your side the whole time. Main it is for the Ryu Style punches, but it is still good.

Some other versions:

-Push up hard each time, and clap

-fold your hands inwards and do them on the backs of your hands.

-ultra slow push ups, going up and down

-try to look forward instead of down. makes them harder

-put a cloth or something under your feet on a hard surface, and walk around on your hands in the pushup position

-when you get to the down position, hold it, and sway left and right, stretching out the chest muscle on each side.

-put a bookbag full of books on your back, for more weight