• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are no Kyu's in the BB ranks, only Dan's:

1st=Shodan

2nd=Nidan

3rd=Sandan

4th=Yondan

5th=Godan

and so forth. In regards to time could be 1yr to 3yrs., but also depends on the system.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

It depends on the requirements set by your school how long it takes to attain the next rank. Some schools have minimum hours requirements to attain the next rank. This is OK, but it is important that there are standards such as demonstrating a particular kata and maybe some applications or knowing your basic techniques. Only your instructor will know the answers to your question. Perhaps your school has a manual that will have the belt requirements. Dojo manuals are a great resource.

Oh, and I think the previous reply intended that it could be one to three years to change DAN ranks. This is a bit excessive in kyu ranks. I would say that two to six months is a reasonable amount of time to increase in kyu rank. Again, ask your instructor.

Most Shotokan schools will add age limits to Dan's of 4th and higher. The 8th and up Dans are pretty much held for the old guys. In all reality we can only hope to get to say 4th-6th without have some higher up connections in the JKA, ISKA, FSKA, etc....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree Sho-ju.

When people ask me whats the highest Dan I always say well that depends on the art and org. you are tied to.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I hear that generally 4th dan is the highest you can get through pure training, after that you have to prove dedication through helping further the cause of your chosen art (in karate anyway) by writting books etc: or making video's to help teach kata-ofcourse you still have to train though. I guess it is because true forth dans tend to be quite old unless they started early. Funakoshi was only 5th dan I believe. This just goes to show that McDojo grand masters who are 12th dan at 28 really are a waste of good oxygen.

I hear that generally 4th dan is the highest you can get through pure training

Totally up to the organization that ranks you. Different arts, styles and organizations have different ranking systems. If we are talking about Shotokan only, then you may be correct.