• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Eating healthy on the road

CampIatt

For the past 14 years I have had had jobs that required me to live in hotels. My most recent job moves me into a different city every week.

I have discovered the Wendy’s chicken BLT salad (minus the bacon) as a great lunch with an occasional visit to Subway for just about anything…

Does anyone have any advice on choices of fast food establishments so to not get board or burned out on lack of variety? Also, I am baffled regarding breakfast… there isn’t a single place on earth that serves a healthy quick breakfast.

Any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Burger Kings will sometimes give you a Veggie Whopper...everything but the burger. McDonald's has their new salads.

Applebee's has really good salads and such.

What's your idea of a "healthy" breakfast? One that excludes pancakes/waffles and breakfast meats? That leaves fruit, which you can just buy at the grocery store.

Please give us some more details about your diet so we can give you more detailed suggestions ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I am far from being on a diet (that’s a bad word), which would be the killer of all the training results that I want.

I hope to not neglect eating something that my body would need for fuel but I want to avoid unnecessary fats and not cut unhealthy fat out all together (if there is such a thing). I also do not want to skip any meals and cause my body to go into conservation mode thus making new fat reserves.

Breakfast:

Burger King

(1) Sourdough sandwich, sausage & egg only (no cheese)

Large unsweetened ice tea or diet Pepsi

Lunch:

Wendy’s

Chicken BLT salad (alternate between low fat dressings for variety)

- Or -

Single burger or grilled chicken sandwich with everything (no mayo or cheese)

Substitute fries for the garden salad

Large unsweetened ice tea or diet Pepsi

Dinner:

(Similar to lunch)

Snacks:

Popcorn (no extra butter)

Sit down restaurants seem to have more choices and are sometimes are marked in the menu with little hearts or similar icons; I have noticed that steamed vegetables and fruits are also more readily available. Although, Speaking as one of those that has trouble making time to sit down during the day much less sit down and spend the hour or so waiting in a busy restaurant, the choices are limited to the fast food chains.

You're screwed. There is no such thing as eating healthy on the road if your meals are paid for by your company, especially if you sit down for an hour. Who orders a salad when they can eat steak and shrimp?

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.