• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a secret to tying your belt

hobz

As with other things the state of how your belt is tied matters more the higher in rank you rise. When trying to teach kids how to tie their belt it is easier to have them find the middle of the belt than but than over their belly button so that the belt is bound to wind oup crossing in the back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally tie my belt flat in the back , no criss/cross. This way puts the ends in better position to make the knot so that the writing on both ends of the belt face outwards. Sai is right about teaching kids...it is easier to have them put the middle of the belt on their belly button to start, however you can teach them fairly easily to tuck the belt flat after they have criss/crossed it and then tie the knot. The knot is the tricky part in my experience. Some kids just don't get it! Then again, I have had a 4 year old student who could tie a knot that would put most adults to shame :lol: !!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Oops! Not at all Hobz!!!! I realize that many styles do it that way. I was just assuming (yes assuming-no jokes please) that Sai was referring to the fact that schools which tie the belt flat in back ususally start to wrap from one hip and go around twice before tieing the knot. Kids usually find this difficult. Sorry! :D

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We tie ours that way too. It looks alot neater when its done right, unless the belts too big and needs to be wrapped around three times :) then it just looks silly.

Then there is the kid who comes in with a belt that a parent help them to tie. It is tied nice and neatly only it only went around the waist once and their are tails trailing along on both sides of the kid.

That's the way I do my belt too Hobz.. put the middle of the belt on my tummy then wrap it round both ways, but making sure that one end goes under the other so you don't get a crossing over. There are many ways to tie the belt tho, I guess the most important thing is that it looks neat, doesn't hurt you if you get thrown on yo' a*s :lol: and keeps your gi closed! :D

There's one little 5 year old who trains in my club, he always forgets to bring his belt and he's very energetic, so usually by the end of the lesson his gi top is practically falling off him, or he just takes it off anyway! He's very sweet tho, so we tend to let him get away with it! :P

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

• 2 weeks later...