• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

14 yr old in the Adult class?

im 14 too, i train/have lessons on children classes {10-14{im the oldest}} but i switch belts with the adults.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started Karate (17 years ago...), the club I went to had adults classes starting at age 14... (I was a few months before my 14th birthday when I started and went straight into the adults classes. Didn't find it a problem).

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

At my school 13 to 14 year olds is the starting age with the adults class. All of them that move up seem to do fine and can keep up with everyone. I personally started in the adult class when I was 13. I am 15 now I would not like it if I had to train the kids class. I like the challenge of training with people that are bigger and stronger than I am.

"Success comes in cans not cannots." -Unknown

1st degree black belt Taekwondo

15 years old

This would be style related, in a sport oriented MA like TKD it would work. In a more combative MA it would not serve the child or any adult in the class for some under sixteen into the class do to the type of training. There are also issues with the body growing and doing damage to the bone structure regardless of size at 14 you are still developing.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"