• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey how do i make my shins harder and what kinds of medicine

Liam_Sullivan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Do hundreds or even thousands of kicks on a heavy bag or pads. That way you develop power, speed, endurance and balance while your shins get tough. Not sure about the medicine though, once I went to a Kung Fu class with a guy I worked with, we did some palm toughening work, basically just get someone to give big killer slaps on your palms, and after the class had some ointment to put on, there were two types, one was penetrating, for deeper bruising, the other was more for skin. It went something like that it was ages ago, sorry!

When you start kicking the bag, start kicking lightly at first. Gradually increase the power so that you are kicking full power. Don't forget to stop every so often to massage your shins! Massage the shins vigourously to get the blood flowing back into them. This promotes faster healing of the bruised flesh and any damage to the bone.

You might also like to invest in Boxing Liniment (basically it's Ben Gay). Massage your shins with that before and after you kick.

Do not "tap" or "beat" your shins with sticks, boards, bottles, etc. This causes bruises, knots, etc to form on the shin. These painful little areas may stick with you for quite some time.

As you mentioned... find a cylindrical object such as a rolling pin or bottle, and roll it lightly up and down the full length of the shin. Do this for at least 20 min's per shin.

Just remember to kick the heavy bag and/or Thai pads. You should kick over 100 times each day....gradually increasing.

Good Luck!

Deby

1st Deg. TaeKwonDo Black Belt/Fitness Kickboxing

(Moderator of Health & Fitness Forum)

It is when the student approaches black belt that the serious student discovers that he has only just begun his study of Karate

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-09-26 04:46 ]

Correct me if I am wrong ..(and I'm sure you muay thai paractitioners will if I am!) but this is an old practice that is now obsolete and hard shins can now be developed through the use of modern equipment..heavy bag and pads. Thai Boxers train by kicking trees is based on fact. Thai boxers are known for their rigourous physical conditioning, and in particular, their extremely hard shins.

However, Thai boxers have not always had access to such equipmnt such as heavy bags/pads so kicking trees was common especially the banana tree.

A banana tree is not hardwood like most trees found. (hard to come by in the States!)Banana trees have a softer, more plant-like trunk which will give a little when kicked. Thai boxers would not start off by kicking a tree with full force, rather they would start kicking slowly without much power until the shins would eventually toughen to withstand the punishment. (Much like you would if you began heavy bag conditioning as I mentioned above. Trees are sometimes still used today for training. Thai boxers kick them with minimal power in order to improve speed and accuracy.

There are those who are capable of kicking trees without any real harm to themselves but FEW ... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! :eek:

Deby

You aren't really toughening your shins when you "condition" your shin, what you are doing is making the nerves less sensitive. I wouldn't recommend any rolling of anything up and down the shin. I never massaged my shins either, and I was kicking full force from day one into the heavy bag and thai pads. You might get a little bruise the first few days of training, but you'll get used to it and it'll stop. Just keep kicking the bags and don't worry about shin-conditioning.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Rolling is a good conditioning technique, do make sure you massage afterwards. Always massage from the ankles up. You are not trying to kill the nerves, but rather build up the tissue.

The medicine utillized is to promote circulation. The medicine best used is a herbal wine mix. Sorry bud, but I'm not at liberty to really share what is in it or how to make it. There are good herbal wines and bad ones. My advice is that if you can find a place to buy it if it has a vineger aroma to it...don't use it (people often use the vineger to lower the cost -- instead of wine). Most people will refer to the win in Cantonese as "Dit Da Jow", you can also find recipies on the net, but the ones I have seen are not very good.

Best to talk to your instructor about this kind of training, or find someone who can assist you in person.

Good Luck.

You've probably done too much too fast...give your legs a couple days rest....you should also not be pressing dowm when rolling, just use the weight of the object.

The use of medicine will help reduce "healing" time.