• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pushups after weights

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I do push-ups at the beginning of my chest workout. If you want to do 300 push-ups after your workout, go for it! Muscle stimulation is muscle stimulation. Just don't work work yourself, and you will be find!

If you can still do 300 push ups after your arm workout, it sounds like you need to work your triceps harder!

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Yeah, to grow stronger muscles, you have to go hard. If you go hard enough, there's no way you're going to continue with 300 push-ups after you just blasted the same muscles. If you want strength, then you have to go for the last rep. When you hit your rep target (say 10 reps), then the next time you add small percentage (1-10 pounds, depending on the exercise) to the weight and aim to get 10 reps again. When you get the 10 reps, the next time you add weight again. If you can perform 300 pushups after that, you certainly didn't go for the maximum reps in the strength session!

What is your aim - toning or bulking up?

I'm sure the above posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but it appeared to me some of the answers (eg working to fatigue, adding weight) seem aimed at building sizable muscle and not just toning. Of course, doing 300 pushups in a row is bound to do some strengthening, and add a bit of size too, but I always thought the aim of lots of reps, with lower weight was toning without really bulking up - at least that is what I was always told by the trainers at the gyms I went to.

So again - what is your aim?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse