• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a different school where the instructor isn't such an A$$. You pay to be there. You should enjoy it. The instructor shouldn't make everyone else suffer because an individual isn't doing something right. It's karate, not boot camp.

I know the instructor is harsh, unsympathetic and very hard on everyone in class but he really knows his stuff. The two instructors there do play a bit of the good cop / bad cop thing sometimes. I think it's better to suffer a bit and know that I what I am being taught is correct than to go somewhere and have a jolly time and end up with cr*p form. The senior students in the club are so good it must work out in the end. Most weeks it's okay as it's not just me getting it in the neck it was just that it I got a bit of stress overload on monday being the object of his attention and criticism just before the grading.

I think the hard task mastering before a grading is a good thing, it stops you going there and being cocky about it (not an accusation, but with higher grades it can happen - personel exp:))

Plus when you get to the grading its often not as hard as the last class so you don't feel as nervous and therefore perform better.

I'd say good luck but you'll have already been by now so I hope it WENT well :).

Congratulations!

I have :kaioken: (fuming,angry) instructor but he never favorites anyone and he spreads his critisism on everyone. Earlier I've experienced more lax instructors that pick a favorite that they praise all the time and doesn't care about the rest. I know what I prefer..as long as his verbal outbursts are about my performance and not about me as a person.

I know the instructor is harsh, unsympathetic and very hard on everyone in class but he really knows his stuff. The two instructors there do play a bit of the good cop / bad cop thing sometimes. I think it's better to suffer a bit and know that I what I am being taught is correct than to go somewhere and have a jolly time and end up with cr*p form. The senior students in the club are so good it must work out in the end. Most weeks it's okay as it's not just me getting it in the neck it was just that it I got a bit of stress overload on monday being the object of his attention and criticism just before the grading.

Just because someone knows their stuff, doesn't necessarily mean they should be teaching it. Now I'm not making any accusations that your instructor shouldn't be teaching, but too many people think one equals the other.

And the instructor doesn't have to be evil to teach good form. I'm not boasting, but I've never gotten any less than 1st place in a tournament competing in kata division. Not to say that tournaments are the benchmark of good form, but if my instructor couldn't teach good form, then I wouldn't have had a chance.

If you think your instructor is harsh, read this article: http://www.joelewiskarate.com/joe-lewis/article5.asp

then make up your mind if he's too harsh.

But as said: you determine what you want to do. Nobody can force you. If you don't like it where you are, go somewhere else. But before you do that, think: are you just doing it to get it easy instead of really working for it, or are you justifiably getting wrong kind of instruction.