• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need serious advice on weight training pls

Ok, I am sick of sitting around doing nothing about this, i really advice i want to get back into the gym and start weight training again.

i'm a 20 year old male 6'3" and only 160lbs (73kg). Yes i am tall and very slim and weak, with High metablosm. I train hard for TKD (yellow belt) and want to start full contact combat like kickboxing or MT.

My problem is this, i want to get stronger and faster while seeing an increase in my weight and shape, but i am clueless on how to do this!!

Now i was on this weight training program a friend made for me, but it was a WEIGHT GAIN program. This program is useless for me since i burn off EVERYTHING i gain in the cardio and training i do for TKD!! I go to the gym with this workout program he made up for me but i feel like i am wasting my time with it, i am seeing no results because i burn it all off and i still look like a weak skinny rake.

I want to do something about this!

My goal is become a good fighter in kickboxing, but i can't do this with my body size and weight.

Is there a program for me that i can do to make me have power, speed, strength, endurance WHILE making me look solid at least???

Please people, i need your advice. I'd appreciate it alot

Thanks!

[/b]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You want power, speed, strength, endurance and a hard body? Break it up into different kinds of work outs. Track work and Sparring (cardio) for Endurance and speed. Weight lifting for Strength and that Hard body. Of course, they will all overlap. The Cardio will get you a hard body and strength, along with weight training.

As for the “weight gain program” you can still gain weight and loss fat. You can gain it muscle. I’m sure that is what he meant by “weight gain,” it meant gain muscle. Those Body Builders you see are a good 200-300 pounds, and they have less then 3% body fat in contest! Post the program your friend gave you, bro, let us have a look at it.

^ Thanks for the reply man!

I should've mentioned that What i did mean by weight gain was Muscle gain.

Here is the workout program my friend made for me.

Monday: Chest, Tricep, Abs

(Bench Press, Incline Flyes, Cable Crossover, Tri pushdown, Tri Extention, Tri Pushup, etc)

Wednesday: Back, Biceps, Abs

(Lat pull down, seated row, one arm row, bicep curls, one arm preacher curls, cable curls, etc)

Friday: Shoulders, Legs, Abs

(Shoulder press, rear shoulder press, dumbell press, leg press, leg extentions, leg curls)

3 sets of each * 8 Heavy reps

So yeah, That is the program i was talking about.

So can you help anymore?

if you wanted to gain more mass, you could up the weight and do as few as 6, even 4 reps. id visit the gym more frequently though, exercising any one body part only once a week isnt really enough. theres another subject called "gaining mass" i think in this area, look through that too.

a broken arm throws no punches

My main problem with the program is that it doesn’t have very much in the way of legs. For most sports, legs are going to be used more then upper body, and why not, your legs have the strongest muscles in the body. That is only 3 lower body exercises a week, compared to the 15-20 upper body exercises. Granted, the upper body has more muscle groups, but exercises like the bench press work most of them in one sitting. 8 reps is a good range, but I have a agree with Thuggish, if you want to gain mass and strength, once a week just will not cut it for a guy as skinny as you.

As for the abs, Abs are a very strange muscle group, no 2 people have the same way of working there abs. You are going to have to play around a little bit, see what works best for you with the abs, one a week or 5 times a week, what exercises, etc.

Ok excellent, so you guys say that i should keep the same workout but workout my lower body and legs more frequently? is that right?

should i workout my legs 3 times a week, on the same days as i work out my upper body?

and what should i do about the weight range?

Should i lift really heavy weights so my arms and legs are sore and can't lift anymore? or should i lift what i am 'comfortable' lifting?

i'm worried about lifting till i'm sore because it makes me to sore to train in TKD the next day.

and another thing, i'm scared about burning off all that gain because of the intense cardio (running, heavy bag, skipping) i do in TKD and at the gym. Plus is it true that if you don't have body fat for the body to burn off, your muscles are next? because i don't have any body fat at all and thats what i think i found was happening. i'd go to the gym and gain like 5lbs and then burn it off the next day in cardio.

Well if guys can answer those questions thanks alot, your help is appreciated! =)

bboydocument... you need to exersise each muscle group twice a week... arms, abs, legs, shoulders, back, chest.. 2 times a week. once will NOT cut it unless you have a special program set by a professional nutritionist/trainer. because they are gods.

you also need to EAT. eat till you can't move.. from the sound of things your metabolism is through the roof.. so you need to eat a complex carbohydrate meal awhile before you exersise to build up your energy supplies. something like whole weat pasta, whole weat bread, even macaroni and cheese will do the trick. next you need to goto the gym or do your resistance trainign routine [pushups, situps, whatever it is you plan on doing]... if you are doing pushups do NOT think you can stop at 100 or 150 and that is enough, unless of course that is all you can do and your muscles are exaused [i do not know what your personal level is].. but after your workout is done and your muscles are pumped full of blood, and i mean RIGHT after [its recommend within 20 minutes] you need to eat. eat what? mainly protein, some potassium, even a little bit of fat won't do you any harm. go get yourself some yogurt, milk, and chicken breasts, and eggs. and just goto town.. eat till you can't move, eat till your stuffed and then pack a little more down. protein is to muscles as hay is to horses. if you do plenty of cardio [martial arts] and you weight lift, then you simply cannot eat too much of it.

and yes, your body WILL canabalize on itself [muscles] if you barely eat and do intense physical work. this is what kills anorexics.. then run 30 miles a day but only have a non-fat yogurt and an apple for dinner. their body eats itself until there is nothing left.

Just some food for thought . . . here's the workout I used to put on 35lbs in three months (should be noted that I ate about 3,500 calories a day [small meals, mostly protein and complex carbs, protein shakes]).

[Not Counting Warmups or Cooldowns]

Pullup: 2x10 (minimum)

Reverse Dumbbell Flyes: 2x8

Dumbbell Lateral Raises: 2x8

Bench: 1x8, 1x6 @ 70% and 80% of 1 rep maximum

Deadlift: (w/trap bar; safer) 2x6 @ 75% of 1 rep maximum

Dumbbell Front Squat: 2x10 @ 80% of 1 rep maximum (max calculated

with DBs also)

Leg Press: 2x8 @ 80%

I did this routine twice a week, Tues and Fri, and saw major improvements. Immediately after cooldowns, I drank a protein shake, usually about 800 calories.

Hope this helps. :idea:

"Hiya!"

"Excuse you."

Why are you working muscles in isolation? That won't give you functional strength which will transfer over into fighting. You need to stick to the compound exercises which include bench press, military press, deadlift, squat.

The big key to gaining weight is your diet. If you're not providing your body with sufficient nutrients, it won't be able to repair tissues and grow!