• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee

RJOTweet

:lol: Thanx for all the help all! But what I meant by "leg extensions with weights" I meant the using the weight machine. Sitting on the bench, hooking your legs under a pad and lifting your legs. :roll: Sorry about the confusion.

CardioKB student

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dragonias,

Better to get it checked and fixed now than to wait. I have had these problems since I was about 15 yrs old, but ignored it until now. Now i'm 28 and just had surgery. If I had done this earlier I might have prevented some of the further damage. By waiting, I have one spot that the cartlidge is gone and I am down to bone on bone. Might could have kept it from getting that bad.

RJOTweet,

Sorry about the confusion. Definitely consult a doctor. Mine is an orthopaedist specializing in sports medicine. That is important. Generally they are more willing to do what needs to be done to get you back to martial arts, or whatever your activity is.

I went through a few orthopaedists before I found this one. Some told me to quit TKD, some told me this is how your knees are and there is nothing you can do about this.

My current one said this is what is wrong, we can't cure it, but we can make it a lot better.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

Ok, I have to jump in here now :D Another knee problem. I hurt mine a while ago (last december, I think). It healed quickly (so I thought LOL). I wore a brace for a week or so, and iced it and all. I didn't train for a while either. I also pulled my hammy on the same leg a while before that (6 months before).

But now I have pain under the knee cap. Mostly with jumping stuff (jumping kicks, ect). I heard if you strengthen the area around the knee usually helps. Does anyone know any good excerises for that?

Thanks in advance :)

Laurie F

Sitting down and moving your lower leg from the floor straight up, but not locking your knee joint. Start out with light ankle weights, say 2.5 to 5 lbs per leg, and do three or four sets of 10 or 15 reps. Don't forget to do the curls (standing up) also.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Karate Kid,

Try this one, my physical therapist just started me on it.

Get one of those large inflated excersize balls. Lie on your back with your knees brought up at a 90 degree angle. Put your heels on the ball. your shins will be parrallel to the floor. Dig your heels down into the ball (contracts hamstrings) while pulling your knees up towards your chest(contracts quadriceps). By working both of these at the same time, I can see how this will probably increase the speed of chambering and retracting kicks.

PS

Would be a good idea to see a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

I did see a doc when I hurt it. She gave me the brace LOL. She said I hyperexcended (sp?) it, and I should lay off TKD for a while, and so I did. But She didn't say anything about "strengthening" the knee. I did some research, and I found if you strengthen the knee, it will stop some of the pain. I don't have the print-outs on hand, but it is worth a try, I think :)

Laurie F

If at all possible, avoid surgery. Try to find an orthpedist. I went to one, and after x-rays, I got physical therapy. 6 months later, I'm 100%. Now, if I could just avoid stupidity in training . . .

Good luck.

"Hiya!"

"Excuse you."