• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee

RJOTweet

When doing kicks or leg extensions with weights, my right knee tendsto hurt right below the kneecap. I figured it might be from the times I hyperexstended my knee on the trampoline though even now days just walking my knee wants to give out. :( This is mostly a problem if I try to do a left side thrust and left round house kicks. My instructor said that I should look into getting a knee brace. :-? Any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. I don't know if this would factor into some of the problem, but my grandmother and her daughter(my aunt) have had knee surgeries.

CardioKB student

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee problems are hard to diagnose properly. Go see a doctor and get a real opinion. From what you've said it sounds like a couple of things, but you need an x-ray to be sure. Besides a doctor can refer you to physiotherapy if you need it, and give you advice on how to improve your knee.

BTW, I've had a similar problem in my left knee. One doctor told me straight up that my cartalidge was worn down and I needed surgery. When I got a second opinion they said I just need to stretch more, and improve the leg strength... Now I take glucosamine and train hard without pain with plenty of strentching and strengthening.

Weighted kicks :o ! Bad Bad News.

Think of it like this (but don't do this)!

Take your dog Scruffy. tie a rope around Scruffy's waist. Leave 5' of rope loose. Pick up the rope and throw it. Nothing happens. Scruffy just looks at you like you're an idiot.

Now tie a 10 lb weight to the other end of the rope. Thow the rope. Bye Bye Scruffy.

Same thing happens to your knees. Bye Bye knees.

And believe me, knees are important. I am 28 yrs old and just had knee surgery 5 days ago. I thought TKD was tough, rehab is horrible :bawling: . Save your knees. Pain is no fun.

Like many people said, do slow motion kicks, builds muscles.

Do ab work. Strong abs allow you to chamber and retract your kicks faster.

If you wanted to do some kind of weighted kick, you would need to figure out a way to attatch the weights to your thighs. This seems a lot safer and would help tone muscles too.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

I use ankle weights while doing swift leg raises(knee to chest), so no extension. I have found that this has vastly improved my kicking speed. The whole point is to do it quickly and gently.

I think what you could be doing is hyperextending the leg because of the weights.

Sastimos---Joshua

There are no limits.

Poor Scruffy!!!!!

:lol:

Definitely get a professional opinion before wearing a brace! Braces do serve a specific purpose but they can cause the muscles and tendons around an injured part to become weaker and thus increase your problems and chances for further injury. I would also suggest taking TKDLady's advice...but please don't pick on Scruffy! :(

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hey man i hear ya, im going into hospital soon to have alook at my right knee too, its sucks bug time, even though its just an x ray, they said it looks as though i might need an op, i wouldnt really mind if i was old but im 17 and its a b*tch coz it mess's loadsa things up for me

Yours In Budo