A Career in martial arts...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure a career can be made out of teaching martial arts. It'll just depend on how much work and effort you want to put in, and then to balance between teaching your art with a strong foundation, versus trying to just earn the fast buck...

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

You could make martial arts a career, but if I were you I wouldn't look at it as a viable career option, for the following reasons:

1. To make any sort of decent money you would probably have to start up your own dojo. Therefore, you would be in charge of your own business and would have to endure all the responsibilities that go along with that (and risk losing everything if it all went downhill).

2. There is a chance that before too long you might prioritise profit over teaching the art properly (especially if you're really stuck for cash).

3. You would probably have to work longer and harder than you would work in an "ordinary job" and you'd probably have to work some very odd hours eg. doing a lot of work at night time when people are available to come to martial arts classes.

4. You wouldn't be raking in big profits unless you owned a McDojo and there would be no chance of promotion etc.

I think you'd be best looking for an ordinary job and just teaching a few nights a week somewhere, without making a business of it. Maybe after you've done that for a few years you'll be in a better position to know if you want to teach full-time, and you'll be more financially secure and able to open your own dojo.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Keep this thread updated on what you do decide will you?

I'd be interrested to hear how it turns out as I've thought about it myself. I train with GKR so its perhaps a more viable option for me than others.

O yeah. Now chances are you need to be located in big city so you can have a large studnet base. If that is what you are looking at get you a building and advanced students you can trust to help you out. Good Luck.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I dont know if i can keep this topic up to date with my progress because Im just 16. so it will take me a while before i can open up my own dojo (plus im only in orange belt, im getting my green soon.)

Hey Niko, don't give up on that :) I'm sixteen too and looking to open a dojo as well. My advice would be to talk to your instructor about your plans. When you get to a higher rank maybe you can start teaching some. It helps A LOT!!! Even now if there are incoming white belts you could help them with their basics or something. Start small and work from there. If your going to college after high school there are usually rooms at the university that you can use for clubs and then ya could start your own karate dojo there. Plenty of students :brow:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Guys Im 25 and have been teaching for a few years Ill tell you from exp. get a bit older because no matter how much you know adults will look down upon young teachers. Just the way the world is. It took me time to win the over early but the older I have gotten the less I have had to prove myself to new students.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My sensei used to teach at someone elses school as an Asst, then he moved to his basement where he tought out of that, then he went to a community center, now he has his own dojo.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.