Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at your link, no mysterious Gisen Sho. I am surprised at the number of Shito-ryu kata listed, also at the mistakes (Gekkisai are a series of beginner open hand kata used in Goju and Shito (as Ten No Kata and Chi No Kata), no BO kata.).

Did you mean Sesan, which translates as "Thirteen" or "Thirty?" Sesan is practiced in most styles of Karate,and is a Koryu (old style) kata. the Shotokan version of Sesan is Hangetsu (half-moon).

The concept of "Crusades" is not a pre-modern Asian one, and is native to Western Civilization. If youa re thinking of a traslated kata that describves smashing of destroying, perhaps you mean Saifa, which is seen in Goju and Shito.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I think it is a western kata done by Christians for Karate or something like that. I dunno for sure. I liked it. It was short and powerful. Aggressive the whole time.

I think it is a western kata done by Christians for Karate or something like that. I dunno for sure. I liked it. It was short and powerful. Aggressive the whole time.

And here we go again... :roll:

I looked at your link, no mysterious Gisen Sho. I am surprised at the number of o-ryu kata listed, also at the mistakes (Gekkisai are a series of beginner open hand kata used in Goju and o (as Ten No Kata and Chi No Kata), no BO kata.).

Did you mean Sesan, which translates as "Thirteen" or "Thirty?" Sesan is practiced in most styles of Karate,and is a Koryu (old style) kata. the Shotokan version of Sesan is Hangetsu (half-moon).

The concept of "Crusades" is not a pre-modern Asian one, and is native to Western Civilization. If youa re thinking of a traslated kata that describves smashing of destroying, perhaps you mean Saifa, which is seen in Goju and o.

I have read (I think it was shotokan planet) that hangetsu is older then most sesan kata, anyone know if this is true?

Don't you mean Gojushiho maybe? Sometimes, when a Sensei says a Kata name, the disciple mistakely hears it differently. When I begun practising Karate, I was mistaken all the time about the Kata names, when Sensei said: Kihon Kata Ichi,

I thought it was: Kion Katan ich, lol

Kill is love

I belive that most styles will say that seisan is one of the oldest kata. Hangetsu is a modified version of the shuri seisan that funakoshi created much like he modified the Pinan into the heian.

I do know of a kata that Kuniba Shogo created just for fun at a clinic he was conducting . He just made it up on the spot , I belive to humble some new yudansha who were asking him to teach an old kata. Anyway he called it Gi sake Sho . When asked about the meaning he pointed to his gi then said sake ichiban (#1) and laughed.

There are still some people who run this kata .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I belive that most styles will say that seisan is one of the oldest kata. Hangetsu is a modified version of the shuri seisan that funakoshi created much like he modified the Pinan into the heian.

I do know of a kata that Kuniba Shogo created just for fun at a clinic he was conducting . He just made it up on the spot , I belive to humble some new yudansha who were asking him to teach an old kata. Anyway he called it Gi sake Sho . When asked about the meaning he pointed to his gi then said sake ichiban (#1) and laughed.

There are still some people who run this kata .

It could be it! :lol:

IF it was actually Gojushiho Sho, I am remionded of the many mispronunciations heard in american karate:

Uraken Uchi= yerrAYYkin-YOU-chee

Neko Ashi Dachi= nig-WAJJ-DAJJ

Shuto Uke= SHOOT-owe-YOU-kee

Gyaku Zuki=guy-YACK-oo ZOOW-key

Gedan barai=GEE-dan BARRY

Kiba Dachi=KOOBY DUTCH

Pinan=PING-anne

Naihanchi=neeFUNJ-jee, KNIFE-fanch, NEEYANN-gee

Ichi=Itchy

Ni=Knee

San=Sunnnn

Shi=Sheeey

Go=Gow

Roku=Rock (of Hudson fame?)

Shichi= Shitchy, Sheesh

Hachi=Hatchy

Ku=Kyoo

Ju=Jew

:D