• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does the color of your gi make you look different

does the color of your gi make you look different? i have only wore a white gi and im juist wondering if you look different in a white gi or a black gi as refering to speed and power ect?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
People tend to look thinner in Black, and it doesn't look dirty as quickly. White has a cool effect when you do certain kicks, cause you see a blur of white. Black gi's make it hard to track movement, unlike white which you can clearly see and track. I think white exaggerates the effects of movement hence speed and power are clearly seen. This is my opinion based on certain theories of light and dark colors. Hope this helps.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

thanks treebrach i wanna train in a black gi i like the way it looks

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I think the red ones look cool. Maybe if you see someone in a black gi w/ a black belt you expect them to be faster therefore it does seem faster, even if its not. Its all in your mind!! :karate:

TSD-Purple Belt

TKD-Green Belt

I want to wear black pants because I'm female, you know ..... the "time of the month" thing. Other than that, it really doesn't matter to me what color my uniform is. It's all white cause I'm a color belt in TKD. I do have to say that I like the TSD uniforms with the white top and black pants :) I kinda wish I still did TSD for the fact that I would get this type of uniform when I got to black belt :( Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

Why do you worry about the "monthly thing"? :)

I wear only white and never had "accidents" and I train like in normal days. I use OB and to have another protection, an external absorbant. It works like a charm. The heavy flow is absorbed in the interior and what gets out is "caught" by the other "defence" system. No problems, you can move naturally and it's enough to get you through the rough time. :karate:

Can you say TMI? :o Let's stick to topic here, so the gentlemen can still participate, please. Thank you ladies. :D

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Um....I must say I don't like the "patriotic" style ones I've seen coming from the U.S in the past...Red white and blue, stars everywhere, often in satin...just not my thing I guess. The same would go if I saw a red and white gi with a maple leaf on it; I'd rather see a traditional gi with a flag arm patch myself, but hey - I'm not the one that has to wear it. :D

As for whether the colour of the gi makes you look different - well I'd say if you walk in with the flashy gi you'd better have the flash and style to pull it off, because that is what people will expect - creative, flashy moves - just my opinion, of course. :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

There was an article on BlackBelt magazines website about this very topic for forms and weapons competition. I can't remember what month it was but, they said white is better for both because it looks cleaner and does accentuate your movements better. Black had a list of pros and cons as well. They also said you should roll your sleeves up for competition. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!