• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did you get into MA because you saw movies as a kid?

How many of you got interested in martial arts, because you saw some martial arts flicks as a kid? How about computer/video games?

I got my first tastes of martial arts from Chackie Chan kung fu flicks when I was about 7-9 years old, plus from several computer games like The Way of The Exploding Fist, Karateka, Bruce Lee, Yie Ar Kungfu, International Karate and so on. All those in the eighties, as a kid. Those sparked my enthusiasm and as a teenager I finally got to join a martial art club.

How about you folks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was a kid I saw some MA inspired movies and I wanted to do Karate. My parents wouldn't let me because they said I was a girl and I had also to study. At 22 I started the thing, because I thought well about it and I felt I wanted to do this. It wasn't for the movies, it was for myself :)

I took the right decision and I feel OK about it.

I had the same problem: my mother didn't want me to start training anything that involved fighting. And being christian, she was also afraid I'd get involved in some kind of asian religions if I started karate. :roll:

I started because I loved the movies I saw as a kid. Kung Fu Theater was a big one on Sundays. They showed like 6 hours of kung fu movies every Sunday where I lived. Chuck Norris movies, and some Bruce Lee also helped in my formation as an artist.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

if i was being honest i have to say that my love began from all of them chinese heroic drama programs that we used to watch as kids, y'know, the ones written by gum yung.

as i got older and did a bit of research i learnt more about the real arts and the people behind the films.

all this lead to me doing even more research on the histories and legends, trying to tell fact from fiction.

somewhere along the way i met someone who was able to teach me wing chun, or at least start me on my long walk to find out how much i can learn.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

It would be a lie if I said no because I used to watch Bloodsport all the time and think man I wish I had a old man in town that would teach me like he did Van Damne. LOL.

However I actually started karate to help me become a better football player in HS.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

No, I didn't see many movies as a kid. I only had two channels on TV and I never saw a "martial arts" type movie until I was already taking judo. I still haven't seen a Bruce Lee movie, as hard to believe as that is.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

BRUCE LEE he was my motivation to join karate

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Come on, who saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and thought Michaelangelo was awesome with the nunchucks?

I didn't start watching Bruce Lee / Jackie Chan movies until I was 14 or something. But they influenced me as well.

Come on, who saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and thought Michaelangelo was awesome with the nunchucks?

Cowabunga, dude! :lol: TMNT was my generation's Pokemon (even though some of my generation became obsessed with Pokemon :uhoh: )! Only TMNT was wayyyyy better than Pokemon. To this day I still love everything to do with Ninja Turtles :D

I got into MA for self-defense. Since I was only 12 at the time, this was obviously due to large pressures from my dad :)

To be honest, I didn't really have a large interest in martial arts films until after I became a martial artist myself. Jackie Chan was the exception; I've always, always liked those movies. :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.