• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how much weight

I've been reading about workout routines, and one thing I've noticed is that they all assume that I already know how much I can lift, and honestly I haven't got the foggiest. For example some routines recomend just a few reps with weights near the max, and some call for lots of low weight reps. My question is: does anyone have suggestions for finding what my max is, and what is "low weight"? I'd assume trial and error is the only way, but how much rest should I have before each trial (as obviously if I try something it's going to affect each successive try)

Aamorn - KSW Chuhng Di

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, if you want to know what your max is , MAX OUT! lol, take each exercise in your workout routine, put as much weight as you think you can do, and lift it. Keep don’t up or down till you get the highest weight you can do in GOOD form, and that is your One rep Max(1RM) for that lift. That is the trail and error you were talking about. Have a good minute or 2 rest between each trail, till you feel rested. Since you are new to lifting, it may take a few minutes for you feel FULLY rested, so just weight till you feel ready to lift. Don’t do that in the work out, of course, you want to push it in the workout.

Low weights is normally 50% of your 1RM.

High weights, or weight near you max, is about 80% of your 1RM.

Hope this answers you question. Tell if it doesn’t, and I’ll specify what I meant.

good advice, id add one tid bit though. while i always say push yourself, weights arent something you want to jump into trying maxes on all different exercises and pushing your body super hard. it needs time to build a foundation. in his book, arnold recommended 6 months of training before you even touch a weight. of course, no one does this, but its good to start off slower, 8-10 reps, get an idea of what you can do, and go from there. youll pick it up pretty fast. just remember, form is most important, as tibby also metioned, weight is second.

a broken arm throws no punches

...in his book, arnold recommended 6 months of training before you even touch a weight. of course, no one does this, but its good to start off slower, 8-10 reps, get an idea of what you can do, and go from there. youll pick it up pretty fast. just remember, form is most important, as tibby also metioned, weight is second.

Which book do you refer to? He has several. What kind of training does be suggest before you even touch a weight? Body weight exercises., I take it? I have never this, but it sounds interesting. I’m going to have to look into this more.