• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Protein rich foods/ideas

I'm trying a high protein low carb diet to see if I can shift some of the blubber I've accquired through the long months of not training, however I have no idea which foods contain sufficient protein, and the only people who seem to know want to charge me a great deal of money for their advice.

Anybody have any ideas? If I know roughly what foods I should be cutting back on (low carbs = starchy, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice) and what foods I should be looking to take in more of, then I can use my amazing (haha) culinary skills to come up with meals and stuff.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High protein... Best stuff for a low carb diet would be white meat (chicken and tuna etc.) You can also buy some sort of protein shake with no carbs in it. I wouldn't say Pastas are bad carbs, in fact they are good carbs. You want to be eating complex carbs, meaning carbs that don't enter your blood stream quickly, and make your insulin levels go up. This means, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruits, and other things. Nutritionists have a index made.. called the Glycemic Index (GI).

The glycemic index ranks foods on how they affect our blood sugar levels. This index measures how much your blood sugar increases in the two or three hours after eating. The glycemic index is about the quality of the carbohydrates, not the quantity.

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Don't eliminate all carbs just the stachy carbs, and you'l lose weight garanteed. Low carb diets (atkins diet for example) has recently been in the news, and that this diet is very bad in the long term. Taking away fruits and vegetables is insane! This is where all the vitamins and minerals come from. If you want to lose weight only eliminate the unnatural starchy carbs like pasta, rice, cereals, and yes only 2 vegetables being potatoes and kidney beans simply becasue they contain too much starch, not too much carbohydrate. We need carbohydrates as are main scource of fuel. I have also heard of many boxers trying the Atkins diet to lose weight for their weight divisions and then suffering fatigue in the very early stages of a fight and in training.

I don't recommend it, it is in no way a balanced approach.

Yeah, eat a balance diet, healthy carbs, like fruit, veggies, wheat products etc, and protien. Protein can make you fat, too you know. If you want to lose weight, start training hard. Get you ass to track 3 times a week (atleast) and maybe weight lift a little. Diet is only part of it. Start training that fat away!

i find milk to be one of the biggest protein rich foods that i consume after i lift and or do resistance training... lately i have been just downing a quart of milk [chocolate one day, fat free the next.. just to keep the fat levels down and switch it up so i don't get sick of one] straight after a nice long work out... this equals exactly 32 grams of protein. naturally i sit down and eat a meal consisting of meat/beans/egg [basically any protein rich foot] after the milk. My question is... will drinking that kind of amount of milk on a regular basis have any negative side effects. I know that kidney stones can be developed from overloading your system with excesive calcium on a regular basis... but is a quart of milk every other day enough to lead to a complication like that?

sorry to say it but keep the carbs, if you are a martial artist and train for aerobic activities you need those carbs, they are your best friends, just stay away from snacking, eat a healthy sensible well rounded meal. When you train you need those carbs my friend, or else you will be dying out there on the floor, fish/tuna, chicken, turkey and such are nice ways of getting protein, stay away from fats and train hard!

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I'm trying a high protein low carb diet to see if I can shift some of the blubber I've accquired through the long months of not training, however I have no idea which foods contain sufficient protein, and the only people who seem to know want to charge me a great deal of money for their advice.

Steak.. eat lots of steak... and protein drinks. Get the choc ones. They're nice :)

... that'll be £50 for that piece of advice please :P