• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long to black?

one day, people will stop ASKING how long until i get to black and concerntrate on just GETTING there.

Perhaps if this question is frequent, our answer should not be in terms of time but in terms of effort..

Keep Smiling!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but a lot of people want to get without any input.

they might hear it two years at a certain club and then three at another.

they then decide to attend the "two year" club and after the two years of half-hearted training, they do not get the black-belt that they were dreaming of and then they go in search of another club...

it happens. if it didn't, the mcdojos of the world wouldn't prosper.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

these people are more interested in the peice of cloth than in the art and some of them are willing to pay a lot of many. seems like the McDojo is the ideal place for them, so who are we to judge them? all we can do is tolerate, knowing that most of us can easily kick the butts of these "black belts".

Is it enough to know that you can 'kick the butts of these Black Belts"?

I mean...I have trained my whole life...since I was a wee little boy...and I have recieved a few Black Belts, (I use Black Belt in capitals because I respect what I have done), but it is not the actual belt that I have been working. I too, along with others, have been raised with the colored belt system. I set an ultimate goal of getting the Black Belt, and I set minor goals of passing each kyu/guep grading. And I succeeded...now if I had a brown belt or a blue belt, I worked my butt off...

I know that some people think that others might not deserve their belt.

Should you be able to do it, or should you just know it... (both is not an answer)

Where does the grading lie?

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

for me grading (either belt or whatever) makes it easy to put shortterm as well as long term goals (like u mentioned thug). it shows me that i get better and when i look at me after a certain period of training, i know that it wasnt senseless because i was able to reach belt! the black belt is "just" one step... a special one, because otherwise people wouldnt be asking for it all the time.

i am on my 7th belt it as taken me 1 year and 9 mouths and they are 10 belt i think it will take me 2 more years to get my black so that is 3 years and 9 mouths

L8er :karate:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

9 mouths ?? :)

I wouldn't bother trying to work out when you will get you're black, it doesn't work, I've gone through some of my higher grades faster than I did my lower ones.

hey, i was reading the other night and found this story:

there was this guy, a long time ago, and he was a martial artist. and he went about learning material as fast as he could to get up to the next belt rank. eventually there was nothing more that his master could teach him and he sent him off to his master. he traveled to the guys master, and they conversed, and the guy asked how long it would take to become the greatest karateka in all of japan (this story takes place in japan, you see).

the master said 10 years. so the guy was like "wow, that's a really long time, what if i studied twice as long as your other students, how long then?"

and the master said 20 years. and the guy was like "20 years!?! what if i practice day and night and cut my sleeping time in half!?!" and the master said 30 years. so the guy asked why everytime he said he would work harder the amount of time kept increasing. and the master said "when one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the way"

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai