• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How the hell...grrrrrr

devilthaiboxer

I don't know your age or rank but this is why I will always be against kid black belts. Age and size plays a factor I don't care what anyone says.

Just hang in there and remember the better people you spar the better you get. You only learn by loosing.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spar more :)

Simple, yet to the point. Relax, smile a bit, then start playing the game. First thing: try to keep your eyes open and see what's happening. Bite your teeth together and think "it doesn't matter if I get hit, but I'll try to sidestep and counter if I can". That's all there is to it. Experience will do the rest. And the more different people you spar with, the faster you'll learn it.

The early belts often hurt each other because they have no control. :lol:

Early belts? One girl in my Dojo has blue belt and she hurts everyone when she spars, because she has no control. She says: "oh I wanna kick someone! I wanna hit someone today!"..... khm.... one karateka who has chosen the wrong attitude... :roll: ... :dodgy:

Kill is love

I too felt as you when I started martial arts and I was quite frustrated until I was given one piece of advice: "Stop trying to be the first to score, just concentrate on blocking and countering for now". In addition to changing my mindset it also helped me to learn how not to get hit :) . After a while, the openings just started to appear right in front of me and I became more and more comfortable and confident :brow: .

Now, this advice may not work for everyone, nor may it be appropriate for some styles but it worked for me and I have been able to help other students in the same way. Try out the suggestions you get here and hopefully you'll find one that clicks for you. In the meantime, keep practicing!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I never felt like that when I started martial arts. My personality has always been calm and cool, I don't really know why, but it has never changed to an aggressive attitude, just because I don't like aggressive attitudes. My thought when I started practising martial arts was: "I have no target, I just want to feel that art really close to me"

Kill is love

Confidence does not equal aggressiveness. Nor does finding an opening mean that you are "looking for a target". Being naturally cool and calm is a blessing that some of us just aren't born with, it has to be learned through overcoming fears and developing confidence in yourself. You are lucky Martial Girl!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

"Relax, smile a bit, then start playing the game. "

i've never heard better sparring advice! unless you're from a pretty twisted school (no offense), your opponent isn't actually trying to kill you. just have fun! when you're not thinking so much about winning and scoring, things will just start to flow naturally. right now i go to a school with my best friend. he and i spar and take each other seriously, but through out the whole match we're usually laughing and joking around, and we do just fine. don't do it to much, though. at my last test my instructor yelled at me when we were doing self defense. i couldn't stop smiling and he said i wasn't taking it seriously enough... :roll: anyway, the point is to just have some fun :P . let things flow naturally and you'll do fine.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Sparring is all about keeping calm. I'm quite good at it because i'm laid back (any more and id fall over). Kata's such as Bassai-dai are better for agressive people.

As I said before spar more :)