• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How the hell...grrrrrr

devilthaiboxer

How do people spar i cant seem to do it.I either do it wrong and get up close and dont stop hitting the opponent with short attacks.If i try to do the project in strike a few times den project out i just cant do it i get hit EVERY time and i cant emphasize every enough.Its getting quite annoying to be sparring with the adults just to get hit every time i try anything please aid me before i start biting.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i do but i also do shukokai karate and i havnt got to the sparring stage yet in thai boxing.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

Something that is helpful is practicing in front of a mirror, so you can see where you are leaving yourself wide open. Many people seem to drop their hands when they get tired or when they start kicking - remember to keep protecting yourself when you're attacking, and watch for this in your opponents. Also, combinations are very important - practice using several techniques together, both multiple strikes/kicks and block/strike combinations. Another good idea is to watch others spar while you're waiting for your turn. Often you can start predicting patterns and noticing telegraphing in your opponents. Something else people often do (and shouldn't) is look directly at the target they are aiming for. That can be used as a trick as well (so don't count on it too much when reading opponents), but it is better to see your whole opponent (with the aid of your peripheral vision) rather than just the target you're aiming for.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Also, try drilling pre-set sequences with a partner. For example, first he attacks with a jab/cross combo and you counter it. Then do another drill where he attacks with jab/kick and you counter that. Then combine the drills so he randomly attacks with either combo and you do the apropriate counter. And figure your way from that on, creating more drills. To learn to spar, you need to practice stuff with a live partner so you get the timing right (can't do that with solo training).

I wouldn't worry so much about the extra exercises at first. When I got back into karate I had the same problems. Just spar more often and it will come. Also ask you sensei(s) for any help that they can provide.

If you get in close and you're not the one on the offensive, you're going to get hit. Hell, even when you think you're pounding your opponent sometimes, if it's not full contact, they will think they can easily fight back, so don't worry so much. I've sparred with some people who think too much about points and say that I would never be able to take a backfist to the stomache... when my elbo was in their face/chest/ribs.

Loosen up and stop trying to win. It takes a long time to be proficient at sparring. Try not to think too much or be concerned with scoring points. Its best to work on a couple just a few techniques at a time keep it simple then as you improve build on it. I used to be a pitifully poor sparrer since Im more of a scrapper by nature,after reading the same article that sho-ju posted I gave the don't try to win strategy a shot. It really works. I worked on my blocking then just two combos for weeks then just added on from there. It helped me to be more aware of my opponent instead of just randomlt throwing techniques and hoping they would score. I am still not the greatest but I am much better than I was before. :up:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Honestly devilthaiboxer, getting continually hit in Muay Thai is as normal as doing Kata in Karate! From what you wrote it seems your having a timing and distance problem, the ONLY WAY to get better is by sparring also ask your Kru for directions on how to improve. Remember you will get hit, you will get hurt, you will get bruises and welts but this is reality, this is Muay Thai!

Stay STRONG, TOUGH and SPAR, SPAR and when your done, SPAR some more you will improve!

I think he's sparring in Karate at the moment. He said he was too early in the Muay Thai program to spar. I guess it's the same though about getting hurt. The early belts often hurt each other because they have no control. :lol: