• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts research library

Bleak? No. Heavily focused on death? Yes. For that is Bushido - the philosophy of the feudal bushi. Hagakure is a classic. As is "The Unfettered Mind". And no other book deserves this more than The Art Of War, bu Sun Tze!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i encourage you to look for another link to the book of five rings, that link is very incomplete when it comes down to the translation, sorry, i appreciate the offer, yet the true translation is much larger and even more elaborate

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

"The Unfettered Mind" is indeed good and as such I have read it a few times, however "Hagakure" does seem to bleak to be relevant today-talking it as law I probably would have had to slice you up with a sword for not agreeing entirely and then commit Sepuku...:)

But seriously compared to most the other books here that I have read Hagakure is just a bit too depressing.

• 3 weeks later...
"The Art of Shen Ku" by "Zeek". Very cute and tongue in cheek, but offers lots of stuff, not just on basic self-defense, but survival skills, yoga postures, herbal remedies, etc. Not strictly martial arts, but a fun read.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help but point out two massive downfalls in your personal library:

1. All books focus on the same, if not very similar styles. Yuo can learn a lot more about what music is by listening to each genre than you can by only listening to Elvis your entire life.

2. Nowhere in this thread have I seen anyone write You Personal Journal by You. Your personal journal forces you to think about everything you do in martial arts; how you do it, WHY you do it, should you do it, should you change it, etc. I have learned more from my personal journal than any other source to date.

Don't forget, some of the best books to help you along your martial path are found in the Philosophy section of the bookstore.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

The Budo Karate of Mas Oyama by Cameron Quinn.A great book on the philosophical foundations of Kyokushin.A VERY in depth look at Oyamas interpretation of Budo through Kyokushin with forwards written by Mas Oyama and one of his longest standing pupils Bobby Lowe.

It also has a very in depth look at; Symbolism and Purpose of coloured belts,The five elements and the Chakras,or spinal centres of intelligence and many more facinating facets of Budo Karate.It also trys to explain the names of many Kata and looks closely at the history and development of not only Kyokushin Karate but Karate in general.

This book is a must.Regardless of what Martial Art you study you'll gain something from this book.

Never give in

• 1 month later...

In addition to what has already been posted, I strongly recommend:

"Kodo: Ancient Ways" by Kensho Furuya

"Traditions" by Dave Lowry

"Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams

And for a classic on protocol and politics, I strongly recommend the novel "All Men Are Brothers" trans. by Pearl S. Buck if you can find it...a slightly weaker (IMO) translation goes by the title "Outlaws of the Marsh"