• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Silly question about gis...

BKJ1216

Well I never thought of this before but I guess it is important. I started karate on the 12th and just bought my Gi today, I was wondeirng am I suposed to wear a shirt under it?(I'm a guy just so theres no confusion).

Oh and also would the sensai be mad if I wore a cup for any reason? Like would I get any funny looks seeing as there will be a bulge sticking out of my pants (which could be mistaken for something else) I already had a brush with a nasty heel to testicle expirience and I don't want it to happen again.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most guys in my school don't wear shirts under their uniforms. Some girls do because ..... well you know :D Or we wear tank tops or sports bras under ours. I think wearing a t-shirt under my uniform is too heavy. I sweat a lot, and it would just make it worse ..... yuck LOL.

And I recommend wearing a cup during sparring ;) I seen guys that got kicked "below" and it sent them to the floor real fast. You don't need it all the time, just during contact drills or sparring.

Laurie F

if your a guy then deffinitly dont wear a shirt under it and i would recomend the thinist possible for girls b because yea, its gonna kill you later i mean the gi can get hot enough sometimes. i wouldnt wear a cup during kihon id wait and put it on if you know youll be doing kumite that night. there not real comfortable and in training your sensai will have enough control of his techniques that he/she isnt going to kick you in the balls....just dont piss him/her off! :D

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I just wear little sports bra style shirts under my gi. I prefer the look of not having anything underneath (less differentiation from the guys then), and it definitely feels cooler too.

I don't pay any attention to weather a guy has-or doesn't have - a bulge under his gi. I've known lots of karate guys that surprised me by knocking on their cups when I asked if they were ready to spar; it wasn't obvious.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Most of the guys and girls in my dojo wear t-shirts underneath their gi tops. It's not a requirement of the school or anything...I think the guys are just insecure about their chests :o

During the summertime (now), we get to wear dojo t-shirts, so not very many people are wearing gi tops anyway.

Get heavyweight gi pants and the bulge won't be so noticeable :D

My instructor said that when he was training, he wore his cup all class long, regardless of what they were doing. Now, this was before all of our fancy sparring gear came into popularity, so sparring for him involved wrapping Ace bandages around his knuckles and going at it! :dead:

Nowadays, you have so much other gear to put on, you might as well put on your cup while you're at it.

But, at the very least: Wear it for sparring!!!

There are SO many guys in my class that don't wear it at all, and then get kicked/kneed in the groin...and wonder why it hurts so much. *cough cough* jake *cough cough*

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

If I'm working out or training with someone else, I wear a cup. Accidental contact happens, even when just practicing techniques. Also, when/if we spar, I don't want to waste time running to the changing area to put on a cup.

I wear a t-shirt under my ghi top, even in the hot weather. Most of the people I work out with do. It is comfortable, and usually you have the option to take off the ghi top when doing really strenuous or active stuf like sparing or grappling. With grappling, it saves the ties that you allways forget to undo if you leave your top on as well.

Freedom isn't free!

Wear the cup!!!!

The t-shirt is up to you. I have a v-neck uniform, and when I started back up a year ago, I weighed more than I do now. I had to buy a size 7 dobak so the pants would fit my waist. The top shows a lot of chest hair, so I wear a shirt underneath.

May 19th starts t-shirts time at my dojang. Praise the Lord!!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I've known lots of karate guys that surprised me by knocking on their cups when I asked if they were ready to spar; it wasn't obvious.

Hehehehehe my boyfriend did that during a test LOL. They got geared up for the sparring portion and someone asked if he was ready. He knocked on it ..... man you heard it clear across the room, where I was sitting LOL.

Anyways, my TSD school used to wear t-shirts in the summer. That was nice :) It was cooler than the uniform. I think I'll talk my new instructor into doing that :D

Laurie F