• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Utilizing Tae Kwon Do for combat

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is how you train NOT what you train that will make you an effective fighter.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken.

As far as technique versus technique goes, there are instances of nearly every art defeating every other art. To say one art is better than another is nothing more than ignorance. Styles are not UNEQUAL or EQUAL, they are DIFFERENT. There is a HUGE difference.

The effectiveness of an art is directly related to the way the practitioner uses it.

A rock is only effective at being a rock. If a person who trained how to throw things accurately came along, that person could USE the rock effectively as a projectile weapon. That same person could use a stick, a baseball, or any other easily held hard object as such.

I will admit that every art has it advantages in certain circumstances. But, no art is superior in every circumstance.

Robert

With all due respect, please don't reply unless you have something to say about the question that I originally asked. This post is straying off topic and is bound to be quickly locked if it doesn't get back on track.

I would like to point out, with all due respect to everyone and their arts, that combat is different from sport. In combat there are no rules of conduct. Therefore, my opinion is that I would be able to use my TKD skills effectively in combat. I would use the kicking skills I have to learned to attack low to middle targets. Elbows, fists and palm strikes would come into the fray as well. I would say that I lack in grappling and ground fighting though. I will eventually rectify the situation.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I have to agree with Robert. I can learn very effective fighting techniques with TKD. Also keep in mind that TKD is a varied martial art combining many different things. Ji Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, Chung Do Kwan, Song Moo Kwan and others i cant remember :D Each have their own techniques, forms, one steps and so on. Can it be an effective combat art ? Hell yes. In a real life fighting situation would i be inclined to throw a spinning hook, jump three feet in the air with double half twist ? I doubt it, ya never know i guess, but probably not. Would i get out of my opponents way? Put a hand down on the ground and a kick to the side of his knee and take him down ? ( brown belt one step ) maybe. There's a lot to TKD that if your aren't doing it, your not aware of. As with any art it has it's devastating techniques, will you have the presence of mind to use them under a real situation..who knows. Always fall back on your training.

Some pruning of this thread has taken place. So if your post is missing think about wether or not it met the requirements of the forum.

I saw nothing wrong with my post and i belive i was being perfectly reasonable...he made a statment and I proved it wrong..I guess thats not allowed.

It is a shame that a thread like this has to take a turn in this nature. :) But, I am going to have to close this for the moment. Thank you.