• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how good the practiciner can apply what he has learned into a real street fight. If he thinks a few round houses will win a fight then he would get the fudge beat out of him. But if he thought "well, I'll front kick him in the gut, and then hook his head" or something along those lines then the TKD guy would probably win the fight.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

No more and no less than any other form of Karate-do. It all dpends on the instructor. TKD is filtred Shotokan. An intelligent instructor who has an understanding of Bunkai can teach his or ehr students to defend themselves. Most of teh goos TKD students that I know realize that teh high kicking is for stretching purposes. Their philopsohy is that if you can kick high properly in the Dojang you can kick low even better in an encounter.

Olympic style and commercial style TKD are poor methods of self defence, but I guess you could hit them with the trophy.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Style means nothing. The person doing any given style means everything.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

An interesting, original and refreshing subject... :D

I think i could knock somene out on the street with a high kick i've got a big axe kick and hook kick which seem to catch out even experienced fighters. I've also got a full range of punches all from my training in TKD. I'm not much of a grappler but then in a street fight i'd rather hit and run. I'd say that was effective!!!

Hope that wasn't too biased for you.

Bretty

(ITF TKD)

I have used TKD in a real situation. So when someone says it's not effective, I laugh. I'm not being bais either. Cause I know it works against a raving drunk idiot trying to rape me. I left him in the dirt and I was un-harmed ;) Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

it depends on who the person is and how well they react to things. no martial artist will be a good street fighter until they can react without thinking.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

while i think that style has some impact, it is the person and training that makes them competent on the street, moreso than the system they use.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey