• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you have explained yourself well. Thank you for the clarafication. I am going off the assumption that the original poster can take this guy out, he just doesn't want to. If it were me, my honor would demand action. I mean it sounds like this kid has turned the other cheek many times already. Talk to him about it or kick his butt the next time he does it. He may thank you later on.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honour is over-rated sometimes; it's wherever you find it. And bullies deserve everything they get.

You and I have very different opinions of what honor is.

I would never participate if a group of my "Friends" jumped some kid. I also would never allow anyone to hit me or disprespect me, my family or what i stand for. And keep in mind there are ways other than physica; fighting to defend your honor.

Honor= Respect (for all others), Dignity (in yourself), Honesty (always), Self Discipline.

Notice I did not say Pride - There is a reason pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

I repeat my statement from earlier in the posts - I would not justify verbal barbs with a responce, to a point (unitl i felt my honor had been violated) and I would never, never let someone get away with striking me.

So:

People who give you no respect (and I mean as a human being) need to be shown the error of their ways, and if that means being a good example until they see the light or whether it means asking someone who is bigger than you to pound them, then that's your call.

I agree (to a point) - The Honorable thing to do is to stand up and fight for your diginity - be it physical or otherwise. The unhonorable thing to have someone else do it.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

You and I have very different opinions of what honor is.

Honor= Respect (for all others), Dignity (in yourself), Honesty (always), Self Discipline.

Notice I did not say Pride - There is a reason pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Actually, I agree with all of the above. I guess we don't have such different opinions about what constitutes honour (except the spelling ;) ).

I would never, never let someone get away with striking me.

But what would you do if there were many of them and/or they were better fighters? What if you were continually degraded by them and you were unable to do anything physically against them? My point here is that it seems that many people who are so staunchly "honour-guided" have never been totally helpless before people who had no mercy or sense of honour or fairness.

The unhonorable thing to have someone else do it.

The funny thing is, a fight is never fair. Not really. A fight isn't like a sparring match. People don't jump out of dark alleyways and offer to armwrestle you. There's almost always someone who is at an advantage; bullies never take you on unless they think they have it. And this is also the reason why so many people practice fighting arts: they want an advantage. So where do you draw the line? Do you not use the knife in your pocket when you're being mugged if your assailant has none? Do you tell some of your friends to stay back when you're being mugged by a smaller group? How far will you go, not to defend your honour, but to protect yourself? And don't tell me that being bullied isn't an attack. People who are bullied are far more prone to developing schizophrenia than other people.

I think you have explained yourself well. Thank you for the clarafication. I am going off the assumption that the original poster can take this guy out, he just doesn't want to.

Thanks. And your assumption may well be right, but once I start to discuss a topic I can tend to get onto tangental areas.

But what would you do if there were many of them and/or they were better fighters? What if you were continually degraded by them and you were unable to do anything physically against them? My point here is that it seems that many people who are so staunchly "honour-guided" have never been totally helpless before people who had no mercy or sense of honour or fairness

It depends on the sit. - if i cannot talk my way out of it, if i can't get out of it - if i am cornered - i will fight - regardless of how many or their level of fighting skill.

I do not understand your refernce to not being phyiscally able to do something to someone - please clarify.

I am staunchly honor guided. I have had my ass handed to me by both fighting someone who was a better fighter than me and (on a sperate occasion) by a group of people. I don't see how you are relating honor to these situations.

The funny thing is, a fight is never fair.

I agree with you 100%. However since I hold firmly to the belief there are NO RULES IN A FIGHT - a fight can not be unfair.

To your example about not using a knife in your pocket against an assailant who does not possess a weapon himself - that is not a question of honor (IMO) it's a question of how far you will go to ensure you WILL NOT LOSE (in a mugging situation the mugger is most likely a very desperate person who feels they have nothing to lose - exterme counter-measures are necessary). In a fight - you take every advantage you can to ensure you win. You do not sacrifice honor in doing this.

On a lighter note - I am leaving for my honeymoon so I will not be posting for a while - I look forward to continuing this...

(Please pardon any miss-spellings - I am rushing through this.)

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

On a lighter note - I am leaving for my honeymoon so I will not be posting for a while - I look forward to continuing this...

Congrats on getting married! :up: My wife and I got hitched about 6 months ago.

I'm kinda short of time right now too, but I'll be getting back to you within the next couple of days, when I get the chance.

Cheers.

Congratulations jmy77! I am working on 12 years with my wife. May your life together be blessed and long.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

if someone slapped me,id stomp the shit out of them,no matter who they are,or how big.dont let people push you around ,ever.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them