• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need advice ... Please...

I'm going down two belts. No it's not a bad idea (for me anyways). I rather do it right, than just go through the motions just to stay where I was. It's not about rank to me. I'm there to learn self defense. And I want to take my time, and learn each move thoroughly, instead of rushing through them and end up half-ars-ing them.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurie, this is how I had to start over. I had an absense of 7 years. I couldn't remember my forms, but it has been like riding a bike. In 1 year I have attained the rank it took me 3 years to obtain before. The skill remains, you just need a little more time to "catch on" so to speak. IMO, you've made the proper decision. Pilsung! Edited by kchenault

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

If you like what you are doing...who cares? You'll just be the best (insert color) belt in the class.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Thanks, guys :) I was told I had good techniue, but I know nothing in this school. So, yes, I will catch on faster if I just drop a couple of ranks. ZR, you are right. I don't care about the color of my belt. I am very big in technique. And I want to learn everything to the fullest and do it right.

Laurie F

It's official. I'm a green belt again. I feel so right about doing this, but my boyfriend says I'm taking the easy way out. I don't think so. If I wanted to take the easy way out, I'd go to white belt.

Before I left the other school (first TKD school), I was a 6th gup/kyu. In the new school, just because the color of my belt, they jumped me to 4th gup. I didn't feel right about that. I talked with my instructor, and he agreed with me.

What do you guys/gals think?

Laurie F

I have done both:Started over at white, retained my rank and had to catch up. Both have their merits, both have their challenges. I think the difference is being ready to meet the challenges each way presents. At this point in your training I think you will catch up a lot quicker now than if you had stayed at 4th gup-and you WILL be kickin' butt! Master Kuek was right about one thing: It is better to be good at a few techniques than be so-so at many.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Yes, that's my point I was trying to make to my boyfriend. He heard Master Kuek say that many times, but now it's going over his head .....ggggrrrrrr. The thing I don't get is we are in different schools now, and he is somehow trying to tell me what to do. He wanted me to stay at 4th gup. BUT he doesn't really know all the stuff we have to know for each rank. He thinks it's just forms, step sparring, and sparring. No it isn't. We have to know joint locks, throws, counters, ect on top of that. Each rank you learn a few of each and they get harder the higher you get.

Oh well. He can't change my mind, because I feel good about it.

Laurie F

If you are into the art for the sake of the art and what you can get out of it and for "yourself" I think that was a really good decision.

Sometimes those who get caught up in the chase for the next belt cant under stand why someone would rather wait to test than stay on a skill and really work with what you should be learning for the rank. Does that make sense?

And those who get into the belt chase don't alway realize that they have.

Good for you !!! Since you are not hung up on rank and colors, You will be better than ever. :D

Its a shame that some people place to much emphasis on rank and too little on learning and enjoyment.

Its better to walk slowly and enjoy the scenery than to speed past and miss it all.......

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.