• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

question about flexiblity

Angelus

hi just a quick question i have been doing taekwon do for a couple of months (my first ever MA training and i am loving it :) ) but i have not noticed any increase in my flexiblity and hieght of kicks,

any info on how long it takings before you will notice or advise of streaching and how ofton i should would be great,

A black belt is a white belt that never quit!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It all relies on your dedication to the art of stretching and the intensity of the stretches that you are doing in class. Remember that the stretch should feel extremly uncomfortable, but nit to the piont to where you cannot walk afterwords.

Another question is are you only stretching at home or do you only stretch in class. When I was a Gymnast, our practice was 3 and 1/2 hours long. Our stretches went for 30 minutes. And then another 30 min at the end of practice. Teh stretches were always intense.

Another factor is age, if you are fairly young, say under the age of 15 then becoming flexible is easy. But once you start to get into your late teens andbeyond then you have to stretch twice as hard and twice as much as any youngster.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

hi and thanks for the reply,

i am 20, and i only really stretch in class ( 3 times a week) mainly cos i dont wanna do any wronge by myself and hurt myself , would you know any web sites with advise on the stretchs and a few diagrams would help :)

A black belt is a white belt that never quit!

i've got a question about stretching

how do you know you've caused a stretching injury?

a friend (who is a gymnast) once told me that any soreness afterwards is bad because it means you've ripped.

I'm feeling soreness at the moment, but I stretched box splits at my normal height the other day - it just felt a bit more strained than usual...

is this injury? I still have the flexibility ?

Angelus- WE have a saying at our dojo, "Stretch outsaide of your comfort zone. This means push yourself but don't go until you have pulled muscles.

theswarm- The muscle soreness may be from excersise such as flynig squats(go touch ground jump as high as you can repeat) if the soreness continues the you may have something. if we have an intense class the next day almost ALL my muscles hurt and i know i couldnt have pulled all of them. Mainly if it is a new sensation you may consider it if it is repeated should be the muscle growing.

Soreness doesn't necessarily mean that you have damaged something, although it is a good indicator that you may want to take it easy. I pulled a muscle a few days ago from a straddle stretch that I pushed a little too much...healing slowly but surely.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

It took me two years to do splits. I am part of the "older crew," though ( 28 ). I did stretch past my range, BUT not to the point of hurting myself.

As far as kicking hight: It's not all flexiblity. It's technique, too. And kicking muscle strength.

Laurie F