• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians and the Martial Arts

not like most (i stress most and do not confuse this with all) Christians care about pagan holidays...i mean look at what Christmas has turned into...it's no longer just a Christian holiday. It's more of an economic holiday(at least in the US, i can't speak for any other country), and how many Christian do you know that don't participate in Halloween? and children's book? please...i used to play Magic the Gathering, i currently play Dungeons and Dragons both of which i would never quite no matter who says anything about these GAMES. people say that books/holidays/games based on "evil" ideas screw kids up and I say kids who go out and kill 3 people cause they think a book or game told them to should be on medication and it's the parent's fault...not the game's. heck, i've got a 3.5 gpa in all honors classes and play 4+ sports relatively successfully along with these games and never get in trouble so it can't be something wrong with the games... i admit more realistic games can screw with even the most sane (ie. Counterstrike) but us gamers who don't get in trouble or do anything stupid shouldn't be punished. sorry for the long rant but i'm bored and like to type my opinions. also, i mean no offense to anyone and appolagize if you take it the wrong way

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep the discussion on the articles points please. If you would like to discuss Harry Potter, start a thread. Thanks for the kind words everyone, and the great discussion that is taking place about the article.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Too many Christians support holidays like Halloween, most churches offer alternatives during those times of year. As far as Harry Potter, Magic games, etc. The bible tells us to stay away from "Appearances of Evil"....that's enough for me.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

but then it depends on the definition for evil...i thought it was only evil if you believed in it as a god(not sure if it should be capitolized or not :-? ) or otherwise. i'm not saying your wrong(in fact i think your more right than i) but i am trying to say that i should be allowed to play a game or participate in martial arts(see how i brought it all back in :wink: ) as long as i don't start worshipping and actually believing in what i am doing. having good clean fun practicing Tai Kwon Do, playing Magic, or reading a book about magical people/events shouldn't be wrong to do(as far as the Bible tells us)and if it is that's messed up bigtime...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

It's TAE KWON DO. Being a Christian isn't about personal wants, it's about selflessness. This discussion needs to get back on topic please. I would humbly ask that you take the discussion of HP, Magic and other things to another thread. Thanks. I would like this thread to stay civil and open. The emphasis is not if your point of view is right or wrong, it is whether or not Chrisitians can participate in the martial arts effectively with their faith and practices. I believe the answer to be a large YES!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I think that in TAEKWONDO and other Martial Arts, Christians should get involved, it is a healthy hobby and will help you take care of your body (Like the bible tells us to do).

About Harry Potter, Magic, etc. Appearances of evil means things that are considered borderline. What I feel the bible talks about in that manner has something to do with your personal testimony. I don't go to bars and have a beer or whatever, because I don't want a non-believer to know me as a Christian and see me doing something that may be borderline or something that I could be misjudged on. People should see us a Holy People. Just my thoughts.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing