• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians and the Martial Arts

some religions believe it is wrong to show any agression, and some of the monks at the tempel where i go dont think i should do the martial arts. but in my perspective i believe it is my duty to defend my self in a confrontation because if i become a persons victom them i give them a chance to harm another person and give them bad karma. :)

Fist visible Strike invisible

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well thought out article. I have never seen any problematic elements of being a Christian and a martial artist, nor have I run into anyone who frowns upon that connection...

Sounds like a TKD group (my sister trains w/ them) in my home town is having the opposite problem.. They have already been kicked out of one church basement into my church's... And it sounds like they are catching flak for that also! Ridiculous. I almost guarantee that none of the people raising concerns have been to their training nor know anything about TKD. I hope that if serious procedures (e.g. church council meeting) come about, I'm back home so I can go to bat for those guys... good group of kids, not a thing wrong with their training; yet, in a small town, ignorance breeds problems... :roll:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

• 3 months later...

my church used to teach TKD. ($15 a month) and there were many, many students (upwards of 50) that took here. Several of them made it to black belt, some of them making it as high as 3rd degree BB. I am studying to be a pastor and I would love to teach MA at my church one day.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

i didnt realize some of the close ties between religon and martial arts. i treat both seperately

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Nice article. I agree with many of the responses, but I did not read all of them!

Your piece made me think of MLK who studied eastern religions and used them to build his understanding of non-violent protest.

Also, are you familiar with the work of Terrance Webster-Doyle, who founded a group called Martial Arts for Peace? They have a website. It's not specifically Christian, but it does address some issues Christians are concerned with, such as nonviolence, justice, peace, and conflict management.

I will have to check it out. Nonviolence is a good thing, but my understanding of Scripture is that justified violence or righteous anger was not forbidden. Turning the other cheek meant not to strike back for a small infraction of your person, but it didn't mean to be someone's punching bag or to let someone else be a punching bag. In our home we are trrying to teach our children not to bully others because they are bigger or stronger, but to protect those who are weaker than themselves. We are having mixed success. Christ was able to keep this perfect balance, I fail all the time. Good thing there is forgiveness.

BTW, who is MLK?

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Wouldn't have a clue. Not much into Martin Luther King Jr. Too far removed from that situation I guess. Affected my parents more than me. I grew up believing that color doesn't matter. I tend to be prejudiced towards individuals not entire ethnic groups.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• 2 weeks later...

This article was good. I am a Christian and a martial artist. I enjoy being with my dojo brothers and sisters.

My personal opinion is if you feel uneasy with bowing, speak to the instructor (in a calm mannor), then something maybe worked out.

Anyone can throw a reverse punch, but if you do not have heart, then your punching will be in vain.