• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians and the Martial Arts

Just an interesting point that might untie a few knots.

The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" is actually worded incorrectly. I'll try and dig up the sources where I got this again. Anyway, originally, it was "Thou shalt not murder". It was a mistranslation that first occured when the King James Bible was written, I believe. In the Hebrew Bible it does, however, say "murder" and not "kill".

...Found a source...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_commandments

Therefore, the "eye for an eye" law in the Old Testament is not conflicted. And, by that I would say that there is absolutely no problem with doing martial arts as a Christian, since it's use is to defend yourself from an attacker. Also, I believe that many Christians tend to take Jesus commandment to turn the other cheek a bit too far. It's talking about a slap, and later on, it talks about a lawsuit, not a person trying to kill you and do serious harm to you.

As far as Christians having to be viewed as holy, well, good luck. Many Churches seem to have this outlook, and it only causes problems because nobody, absoutely no one can live up to the standards of being "holy". All it does it cause discrimination and... hehe... excommunication.

Sorry if some of my points were redundant, I didn't read the posts that followed up. I just wanted to throw that in real fast.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the interesting link TDA. Also, the slap or hit is correct, but Jesus also talked about someone robbing you. The whole taking of your cloak, give them your shirt as well thing. Walk the extra mile, etc... Thanks for keeping the discussion going. This has been the most popular thread I have ever started. Thanks to everyone who has participated in this one, for or against. It has been kept civil and for the most part, on subject. It's what KF has always been about.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

This is true. There've been numerous discussions in this forum about what you would do if someone were to mug you. And a lot of people said that they would rather just hand them what they wanted and avoid a possible serious conflict. That's what the Bible talks about in that verse. It's a practical method of staying out of trouble :)

Great article, by the way.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really interesting topic for me, I just started my teaching career at a Catholic high school teaching religion. One of my students also happens to go to the same martial arts school as me and I asked her to investigate this topic and find some common arguments against Christianity and martial arts being compatible. She hasn't finished yet but what I've seen so far includes using our oath and principles to argue her point and it looks good.

I don't really have any new input just thought I'd post since this really interests me.

The Article is nicely done.

This Website is impressive.

I have been in the martial arts for about 37 years.

Within those, I had studied some systems.

As teach, I continue to learn.

My infinite learning stems from subjects that surface over decades.

Thus, it has me to address all aspects of martial arts. Basically, your article is much as I had been saying to my Christian practitioners for decades.

The biggest problem I have are Christian "Extremists" that come to my class to disrupt and attempt to coerce other Christian practitioners to quit.

I state "Extremists", because in every subject there exist such, martial arts (and artists) included.

A "Extremist", goes beyond logical reasoning to prove a theory or idea.

The Bible and Martial Arts (including practitioners), have much issues of controversy. People of those subjects have a tendency to demonstrate and mis-interpret information that was presented to them.

However, in understanding past history, others quoted from the Bible had "Blind-Extremists" follow them to self-destruction.

Other Christians tell me to read and use scriptures against those that do that upon martial arts, my class, and myself. In essence, using "fire against fire". If one was to examine this, this would be against true Christian beliefs. Don't you think?

Great thread, though it will seem there are no Christians here that are non-martial artists to post their view which will be refreshing.

DM, I'm can't help in checking out your posts...very interesting.

As a Christian I applaud your article, God bless you for speaking out on our behalf.

"When the devil reminds you of your past remind him of his future"

A quote from my wife...

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

You're very welcome. Nice quote. I like it.

This has been a very satisfying article for me and has sparked much, peaceful and civilized debate. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Pilsung!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I've often struggled with the concept of whether or not God would approve of my martial arts training.

I certainly haven't read every post on here, but it seems as though the original poster has been checking on it frequently, so I thought I'd offer my two cents.

It took me a while to understand that the bowing onto the mat and to one another was not 'bowing down' do someone; it was a sign of respect (if I'm not mistaken).

However, what I do continue to struggle with on occasion is the principle of it all. I'm training to potentially end someone's life if need be, right? In my style, at least, at the rank I am at, I could end somebody's life if I do the techniques correctly. I know I would never intentionally do that, but I have (finally) reached the point where things are becoming reflexive, and I don't have to think about them. What happens if some day, one of my friends starts getting attacked in front of me, and before I know it, I've killed their attacker?

Any thoughts?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker