• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians and the Martial Arts

So many things in this world can tempt us to stray away from Christ that MA'a do not have to be one of them. .

Has anyone thought about how MA affects their Christian walk as regards to time spent in the Word, Worship, and praying vs MA?

The bible says that "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

Matthew 6:24 states

No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love

the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true. Hence that is why I am not studying any art at the moment. That and lack of money. I am focusing on my family right now. That can also take the place of Christ if you are not careful. ANYTHING can.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Sai,

I want to commend you on the article "My Journey In the Dojo" What a powerful piece of writting. You are an inspiration to many people. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

I am not sure that finding focus is the true answer to spending time in the word. If you believe that Jesus came to this earth than you should believe that Satan walks on this earth.

If you know Satan exists...then you know he makes all kinds of distractions to hinder communications with God in any way. ie. kids screaming, light go out, thoughts of all the chores around the house that need to be done. Anything to keep you from spending time with Him.

great article. Helps me out a lot sense one of the leaders at my church is gainst violence and debates me about being a MA's but i always win.

i love talking about God and when you add martial arts its even better.

Fighting out of hate brings only disgrace.

You all made good points but there is one problem: non Christians. Though WE may be able to seperate ourselves from any "eastern religon" non Christians probably won't. Their first thought will be, "Oh, if the Christian is doing it, it's gotta be OK." It's not. Also, meditating on anything but God worries me. I don't know enough about it to comment though. :-?

good article and a very thought provoking thread. i am not in any way a believer in organised religion (i think that too many people abuse their religion for their own ends) so i could be described as a non christian, and as such i feel quite insulted by KWNs last remarks.

there are many ways to God, God knows your intent and how you choose to worship is between yourself and the Lord. it is only arrogance that proclaims that there is only one way to worship. that narrow minded world view is the same that has caused so much pain and suffering in the world.

as for violence remember "there is no first attack in shotokan karate"

Also, meditating on anything but God worries me. I don't know enough about it to comment though. :-?

I think that depends on your definition of meditation. I define in-class meditation as preparation for class...just closing my eyes and clearing my mind of schoolwork, etc., telling my muscles to remember their movements...that kind of thing.

At-home meditation for me is prayer in a very relaxed state. In-class meditation could be the same exact thing if you wish it to be.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 2 weeks later...
i could be described as a non christian, and as such i feel quite insulted by KWNs last remarks.

there are many ways to God, God knows your intent and how you choose to worship is between yourself and the Lord. it is only arrogance that proclaims that there is only one way to worship. that narrow minded world view is the same that has caused so much pain and suffering in the world.

I am very sorry if I offended you, and I don't want to offend you again but you are wrong. There is only one way to God and that is through Jesus Christ, who said, "No man cometh to the Father but by me." And you cannot say he was an arogent man because he exalted the humble. Plus, I don't understand how a people believing there is one way to God causes "so much pain and suffering." True, there are false religons out there, and even some Christians can be hurtful because of their arrogence, but the whole REAL point of Christianity is to bring God's love to the world. :)