• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist and grip strength in karate.

BKJ1216

In any art for self defense having strong wrist and grip muscles are necessary. You need them to primarily prevent injury. Secondary to help perform proper technique.

It is more than just a good idea to develop strong hands and wrists.

MA

If you are powering out of locks then you are not using proper technique.

I didn't say anything about locks. But if you have weak wrists and a weak grip then there are things you are not going to be able to do well in the martial arts. Countless are the times I have simply defeated an opponent based on the fact that their wrists and grips have been weak.

Also, if your opponent is much stronger than you then it will take an amount of strength to break a lock or hold. A former student of mine who knew the techniques very well just could not break free because I just overpowered him.

To avoid injury to your wrists it is important that you strengthen them. Punching a solid target with weak wrists might damage you. Wanting to use your hands to manipulate your target also requires strong muscles.

If you find yourself fighting on the inside, then to trap or manipulate your opponent then you better have strong wrists and a strong grip.

To say having a strong grip or wrist in the martial arts is not necessary is to say that being flexible, aerobically in shape, or knowing your techniques are not necessary. It's fundamental to the martial arts to have strong hands.

For proper technique under stress, ie in combat, you need the strength to fight against the force of your enemy and maintain proper form. Limp wrists, or weak forearms, won't accomplish this.

Think back to what you know of martial arts history. There have always been exercises focused just on strengthening the hands and wrists. Makiwara, wooden dummy, finger push-ups, hand-stands, push-ups, heavybag work, sparring, repetative blocking, grappling exercises, sticky-hands, trapping, throws and locks, each of these exercises which are basic to martial arts require strong grip and wrists.

Hope this clarifies.

MA.

ps.

Even with proper technique if you do not have the strength to perform the task then you won't be able to perform it in combat. Case in point, a student of my brother's. Capable of performing the technique, but skinny as a rail. Defeated constantly because he just did not have the physical strength to make his movements count.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt