• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist and grip strength in karate.

BKJ1216

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not really, unless you wanna show off..

Did you know: It is said that Master Chojun Miyagi(Founder Goju Ryu) could rip the bark right off trees with his bare hands, and rip meat apart with his bare hands.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

In any art for self defense having strong wrist and grip muscles are necessary. You need them to primarily prevent injury. Secondary to help perform proper technique.

It is more than just a good idea to develop strong hands and wrists.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Its a good idea to develope strong anything. Grip and wrist may not help quite as much in MA as it would in say wrestling though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

-Albert Einstien

In any art for self defense having strong wrist and grip muscles are necessary. You need them to primarily prevent injury. Secondary to help perform proper technique.

It is more than just a good idea to develop strong hands and wrists.

MA

If you are powering out of locks then you are not using proper technique.

If the grip and forearms are weak it is difficult to make and maintain a proper fist. It will also be difficult to do twisting techniqes like those involved in basic punching drills not to mention shuto's, nukites and ridge hand strikes.

If the grip and forearms are weak it is difficult to make and maintain a proper fist. It will also be difficult to do twisting techniqes like those involved in basic punching drills not to mention shuto's, nukites and ridge hand strikes.

Yeah see that's what I thought.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Having just returned to MA after having my wrist pinned together I can testify to the fact that wrist and grip strength are vital to good technique (i.e. proper fist). I have found it rather frustrating to not be able to throw a blockor punch with the same power as I used to simply because of muscle atrophy and tendon weakness. :bawling:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/