• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to get a "black belt"?

It took me about 8years to get my black belt but i have been with many associations.The FSK is probably the strictest I have been with when it comes to giving belts out, they even do temporary grades! I once got a temporary purple belt when i was young and it upset me so much, i dont see the point in them. :bawling:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me a little over 4 yrs. Average in this art is 5-6 yrs for someone training at the dojang 3 times a week.

The master making the presentations made a point of telling us that we were

"...now ready to begin our martial arts training."

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

This and varietions on this topic have cropped up recently in several online clubs and chat sites.

In my school with persistence and good physical skills minumum time is about 3 years. For healthy people with good physical skill I would say about 3 1/2 years is average.

For the most parts it is the strenght requirements that hold back the younger students at 1st kyu for long amounts of time.

And it took me over 6 years to get a black belt.

A little over 5 in bojustsu.

Hey, Joecooke007

It's nice to see another Go-Ju ryu practitioner on the board :smile: Anyway I've been told that it takes about 5yrs to reach 1st Dan in our dojo. We train 3 days a week for an hour and a half.

I agree with 757, 5-6 years is best. Repitition is good, because then you wont forget and it comes natural to you. 3 years and under is just crazy. More than 6 years sounds like a money maker. But, then again who wants to leave really fast, everyone wants to stay and train with people who know what they are doing!

Do unto others, as they done to you.

In my last dojo, USA Karate in St. Pete, Fla. teaching ITF TKD style, anywhere between 3 - 5 yrs depending on the students abilities and attitude, I've seen a student get his/hers 1st degree in 18 months, (exception to the rule), I'm a black belt candidate after 10 years, but with the school closing down and injuries, well, there you have it, as long as it takes. :wink:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson