• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you want weapon training, get into Kali or Silat. If you want grappling, get into Brazillian Jujitsu. There you go. You can get into San Soo also, they'll teach you some good throws. Heck, with Muay Thai as your base, you can cross train in any art out there.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

It's very hard to distinquish between Kali and Silat. They are very similar arts. I wouldn't know any good books on these arts, since I don't really buy any books or videos. I hear that Guru Inosanto just released some videos on this but I have no idea where or how to get them.

"if you are true with Muay Thai, stick to that art only"

This is the old traditional "loyal" way of training, but c'mon, it's the 21st century. Also, you won't learn weapondry with Muay Thai, will you? Unless your instructor is adept at Krabi Kabrong then you are screwed as far as weapons go. The whole "one art" theory has been proven wrong over and over again. Cross-train and you'll find that you will become better at all of your martial arts training.

:cowboy:

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Look in http://www.cfwenterprises.com

they have lots of videos of Kali, Silat and Muay Thai.

they even have the Inosanto videos that ken mention.

and http://www.amazon.com for more books of filipino martial arts.

http://www.jiu-jitsu.net for a book on brazilian jiu-jitsu.

good Luck :smile:

It's rather question if you like this way or you prefer another. Forget thinking about finding ultimate way and then following it. Just start learning seriously, and then the way will be in front of you! It's your way, you like it, it feels rigth for you, just go ahead. Don't like it, look for your way. You go your way, other people can go other way. Nothing is perfect, but first just learn something! Just thinking and pondering about what you don't do and don't understand is pointless.

What do you want?

Fighting? Pa Kua has it.

Health? Pa Kua has it.

meditation? Pa kua has it.

chi gong? Pa kua has it.

weapons? Pa kua has it.

internal power? Pa kua has it.

elbow/shoulder/fist/palm/throws/kicks/sweeps/chin na/listening/fa jing/...

Pa kua has it.

That is my way. Go deep in knowledge and you will not need anything extra.

Asking questions which have nothing to do with your real knowledge, which is based on experience, is not wise, as you can get answers that will only feed your illusions.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."

If you look to Chinese systems of martial arts, you will often find that they have very deep and complete systems, dealing with all ranges of combat.

It's best to find what you have in your area...forget books and videos, as they are very limited.

• 2 years later...
IF you do something that punch and kicks, train for something like wrestling. I did Judo, so I didnt know how to punch and kick. so i took karate and Muay thai. Now, i am good at both of them!

tokin' chokin' chillin'

PRIDE! OKINAWA PRIDE!

• 5 weeks later...
You should talk to your instructor and ask him to expand your repetoire. If u have a traditional Muy Thai master he's probably fought some bare knuckle and no holds barred in thailand. My master is an 8th generation guy and grappling is definitely a part of traditional muy thai. Mainly on getting the opponent on the ground with a knee for good measure, also avoiding getting taken down by positioning the feet. If you don't have the basics down yet he'll probably put back on that path. 8)