• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Toughening the face and nose

DokterVet

Hi,

my friends and I, from various martial arts backgrounds, want to take our training to the next level by eventually training full-contact bareknuckle(or close to it).

But first we want to make sure our faces can take some punishment. Should we just box for a while, or are there other ways to toughen the face and especially the nose?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dont think there is a way to toughen your nose... you may be able to do training to condition your mind to withstand pain a lil more, but your nose is gonna break and bleed, and have blood run into your eyes etc etc, no matter what you do lol.

As for conditioning your face...Boxing would help.. with gloves on of course. If you want to condition your jaw.. I know of several jaw muscles exercises... i can not remember what they are though, I ll have to get back to you on it... as for conditioing your gums.. nto sure how to do that. Dont boxers have a special kind of mouthpiece they put into there mouth... to do this? Any boxers out there, help with this.

If you guys start boxing, please start off jabbing each other so you can get a feel for it.. and then once yoru comfortable with the jab.. move up to the heavier stuff...and you probably shouldnt attempt to uppercuts unless you dont mind knocking your friends teeth out.. or possibly breaking his jaw.

Remember also, you dont want to knock each other out lol... each tiem you get knocked out, you suffer some minor and small brain damage =).. overtime it could build up... look at most boxers who have been in it for a while.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

Thanks for the advice.

It's difficult to find a ballance between effective training and not killing eachother!

We all share the desire to do full contact because we all share a love for fighting, but none of us want to lose teeth!

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I am not sure if you have conditioned your knuckles yet or not..

If not, you could hit the board, or a heavy punching bag. if you hit the bag, make sure it is at leas 75lbs or more, or else hitting it aint gonna build not TYPE 2 muscle fibers to build strength in your punches. Remember, the heavier the bag, the more it simulates a body. If you want to hit the bag with no padding on, thats cool to, just dont be surpised or get mad when you notice the skin on your knuckles has spilt.. or your knuckles are bleeding. If that does happen.. you need to rest your hands until it heals, before you start hitting the bag again, if not, your gonna end up gnarly and grostesque looking hands.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Dune.

Hey is it still full contact if you have gear on? I wanted to do full contact with a friend of mine but I don't want to do it without a helmet.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Yes BKJ, if you wear a form of protective headgear, it is still full contact. Even if y ou were lil protective gloves, it is still full contact =).

Give you an example, Flag Football, is not Full Contact, Football even with gear on, is Full Contact.

Full contact would be that you guys are really hitting each other, really hard.. not just love taps. If you want to wear gear to prevent injury or missing teeth, nothing wrong with that.

Nick

"I will not fear...

Dune.

Conditioning your face? hummmmm interesting idea.

Sparring with gloves on works.

You cant really condition the face any other way. Since i started boxing my nose has become alot wider and i think its alot stronger. Mouth you cant do. eye brows thicken too.

Try repeatedly hitting each other in the face with a baseball bat. or slamming you head onto a table a few times a day. That might work.

Or you could try learning to block, cover ,bob slip and weave your way out of the way of punches.

Just a thought....

Heheh, ninjamaster.

And craknek,

We all condition our knuckles already. Most of us have many years of martial arts and bag training under our belts. My personal preference is to use weight lifting gloves to protect my skin (I have a canvas bag - it's like punching sandpaper), but I can still use a regular unpadded fist, or open hand strikes. Although recently my bag has pulled itself out of my cieling, so I don't have too much to punch right now.

Does anyone know how much a full set of sparring gear costs? I'm beginning to think that is the best option. Maybe gloves, helmets and shin/foot pads?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate