• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Jae Hoon your real name?

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 huh? That explains it. For a second dan, you really seem not to get it. I wouldn't pass your sorry butt until you learned how to write a correct paragraph or show some respect for others. I hope you are more teachable than you seem here.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

After looking at your profile, Mr. Hoon, I see that it was you who contacted me through AIM. I'd advice you to stop. It's very unprofessional.

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

Back to the original subject...

I think everyone is always anxious to learn the next form, and when you ask a person what their favorite form is, they will tend to tell you their highest ranking form.

Sometimes I wonder if that is because the person is soooooo focused on the current form, or because picking the highest form they know itgives people an idea of their rank. ;) i.e. if my favorite form was Rohai, you might think I was a 2nd or 3rd Dan. turns out my favorite form lately has been Pyung Ahn Sam Dan.

My next form will probably be Naihanchi Sam Dan or Jindo, but I've got enough problems with the last Naihanchi to worry about getting anything new yet. I've been trying to work really hard on the rhythm behind the form and try to make more sense of the whole thing than anything else. I've noticed when I do that, it changes the tempo in my other forms as well.

Even though my forms are TSD, I hope this applies to it's sister art as well.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Great topic :)

On a separate interesting note, our Grandmaster just authorized a new set of forms that have been created by his son, a master, and some of the suh buh nims in the school. They have wanted to "update" the forms for several years, and finally got around to it. I'm not an advanced student, but immediately you can see the new forms are more fluid, more modern, and address the skills learned at each rank more completely.

What makes this even more interesting is that many of the instructors are learning the new forms with us, which makes for some interesting dynamics. Our main style is Kuk Mu Kwan, and the new forms are being integrated into the "book" of the style slowly as they are learned.

My point here is to address the initial post about learning the forms in advance -- don't bother, for the forms have been chosen by your instructors or masters for reasons, and their instruction is an integral part of your training. Learning them by rote off a chart or a video does not begin to substitute the "feel" of the form, which is one of the most important components. If you're that enthusiastic, which is great, after you are given the form practice it often to master it, then you can enjoy it, and realize the important depth it contains. They're more than just movements. Know what I mean?

Drop by and say hi! - http://www.hbtaekwondo.com - http://www.kangselite.com