• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often should you attend practice

3 nights a week & try for that elusive 4th night on those rare times the we aren't running kids all over for their activities. I also work out at home in my "Fortress of Solitude"--otherwise known as the garage...

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment 3 classes at the dojo, with home workouts 2-3 times per week as well.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

When it isnt baseball season (march-jun) i am at my school teching 5 days a week and taking classes 3 of those 5. The teaching helps keep my stuff sharp. Out of my dojo sat. and sun. are good practice days. In the morning after i run and excercise a little i do about 15 min worth of ma practice or until i have to get ready for school.

I try for four nights/week, buyt after tweaking my left knee (again) lweek before last, I'm down to two-three. :(

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 2 weeks later...

I just step up to 3 times a week 2 from my own club and 1 from another club so i train Mon, Wed, Thur. at 1 hr 30 mins each class

And the Tue, Fri, Sun is my big stretching days, and working of strength condition and speed training .

Learn and u shall Teach

Teach and you shall learn,

https://www.southpacifictkd.com.au

is training 3+ times a week the only way to reach something? :-? or do you guys earn ur money with marial arts? :karate:

Oh, 2-3 nights is just to KEEP your current skills, considering the time after basic training. For basic even 1 hour weekly can be enough, but the requirements after that are completely different. If you really really want to be good in most MA you have to devote 10+ hours weekly for your art, which is some 10% stretching, if you need to have over the waist kicks. I currently do only 6-8h, so i go as an average. More different abilities your moves need to have, the more hours per week they need (flexibility, explosive power, speed, strenght etc.) All of it doesent necessarily have to be training in dojo/gym/whatever, but just thinking them througly and possibly executing the moves in slower pace. Actually, for TKD, its very very good exercise to train the basic kicks as slow as possible 5-10 times per side, fits well if you dont have big space around in your home!

I think, that for "non-fitness" arts (like aikido, grav maga etc.) you dont need that much hours, but this is just my uneducated belief.

is training 3+ times a week the only way to reach something? :-? or do you guys earn ur money with marial arts? :karate:

I don't earn any money from martial arts. I found I was at my best when I was actually training 9 hours+ per week, plus helping out with kids classes another 7 hours per week. I'm not putting that much time in at the moment, however...often 3 hours at the dojo and 3 hours at home, and I'm progressing, but that's only because I had a few years off and there is a lot of relearning/fine-tuning/physical fitness levels to reattain - not to mention recovering from having a baby. I have other committments at the moment and would rather have SOME training than none at all. To make any progress at all, you should go at least a couple times per week. As Scandanavian stated, though, to get really good, you need to put more time in. Its just like anything else - you get out what you put into it.

Don't sweat it if you can't go more than once or twice a week though - if you enjoy going, any training you can fit in is better than none in my opinion - so what if it takes longer to get each belt?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• 3 weeks later...

I sleep in my Dojang

now THATS a little exaggerated :lol: :)

for me my style is "just" a hobby. i do it for sports and fun and everything. it makes a good addition to my life and was not planned to completely replace it. maybe i am never going to be 4th dan with this kind of attitude, but i think i dont mind that for i am not going to open my own dojang or be an instructor somewhere.